Silky Crème Brulee is infused with Buttered Popcorn! You’ll love this Sweet and Salty Dessert, with it’s Crackly Caramelized Sugar Cap!
Hey you guys! How are you doing? Ready for a great week? How was your weekend? I hope it was full of lots of good food and wine and relaxation and some fun activity too. Mine was!
Mr. Allie had a boys night last night so it was just me and the kiddos. I always like to treat them to something fun and special on those kind of evenings, so we called up Grammie and all went out for dinner and a movie. We saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman and it was so. great! We all loved it. So funny and cute and the story was so much fun. It’s really a good one for the whole family.
But enough about me! I am so excited for today’s post, because it’s celebrates two very special bloggers, and their growing families!
Surprise! Today we are inviting you ALL to a virtual baby shower honoring Kelly from Life Made Sweeter and Hilary from My Own Blog Review. To celebrate, we are sharing 12 recipes and crafts that are ready to “pop.” Make sure to “pop” over and check out everyone’s posts. Congratulations Kelly and Hilary!
How cute is that??? I love the theme! And I’m so happy to be a part of this fun event! I’ve always wanted to participate in something like this, and I’m especially psyched because I adore Kelly, and I’m just beginning my friendship with Hilary, and she seems like so much fun 😉
So. Since the idea here was to create something around the “POP!” theme, I chose to develop a dessert recipe that utilizes popcorn. I thought it might be fun (and delish) to infuse cream with buttered popcorn, and get that unmistakable buttery/salty flave going in a silky, sweet custard. Kind of like caramel corn, but only in crème brulee form.
You guys. YOU! GUYS!!! Omg. I seriously thought it could not be possible to improve upon crème brulee. I mean, it’s a classic for a reason! It’s perfection, right? So creamy, and eggy, and sweet, and then that crackly burnt sugar top… How can you improve upon that???
Well I’ll tell ya how. You just pop up some buttery salty popcorn and add it to the mix.
Buttered Popcorn Creme Brulee
Silky Crème Brulee is infused with Buttered Popcorn! You'll love this Sweet and Salty Dessert, with it's Crackly Caramelized Sugar Cap!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 4 cups (popped) buttered popcorn
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cream and milk in a medium pot and bring to a bare simmer.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting, add the popped buttered popcorn to the cream/milk mixture, and stir to coat/saturate the kernels.
- Allow the cream/milk to steep with the popcorn for 10-15 minutes, then strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a small pitcher or liquid measure, pressing the solids with the back of a spoon or ladle to release as much liquid as possible.
- Place the egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and whip with a whisk until pale in color.
- Dribble in a little of the hot popcorn infused cream/milk, whisking, to temper the yolks.
- Continue to add the hot cream/milk into the yolks, slowly, while whisking, until completely incorporated, and warm to the touch.
- Place four 6-ounce ramekins in a baking dish. Pour the custard mixture into the ramekins, dividing the mixture equally. Place the baking dish with the ramekins in the preheated oven. Carefully pour hot water in the baking dish, allowing it to come about an inch up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the custards are set around the edges but still jiggly in the centers.
- Cool completely, sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar, and brulee with a torch or under the broiler, until brown and caramelized.
I beg you to give this recipe a try! The buttery flavor is so killer! And the little kick of salt plays so crazy good off the caramelized sugar topping. Helloooo, salted caramel! These little babies didn’t last more than a day in my house, and that’s saying a lot for a house that’s overflowing with desserts on the daily 😉
Now check this out- ten other fun recipes, all centered around the same theme! There are *pop*sicles, *pop*pyseeds, *pop*pers, lolli*pop*s, and more *pop*corn!
1. Key Lime Pie Popsicles – Spoonful of Flavor
2. Cheddar Bacon Crescent Poppers – A Little Claireification
3. Sweet Indulgence Popcorn mix – It Bakes Me Happy
4. “Pop”ular Tiramisu Blondies – Frugal Foodie Mama
5. Lollipop Centerpiece – The Mandatory Mooch
6. Buttered Popcorn Creme Brulee – Baking a Moment
7. Orange Poppy Seed Scones – Cookie Monster Cooking
8. Lemon Poppyseed Baked Donuts – Blahnik Baker
9. Candy Popcorn Pops – Little Miss Celebration
10. Lemon Drizzle Iced Poppyseed Cakes – What Jessica Baked Next
11. Lemon Cheesecake Pops – What’s Cooking Love?
I can’t wait to click over to every one of these fabulous blogs and read all about their creations! I hope you do too 😉 And be sure to *pop* over (sorry!) to say hello to Kelly and Hilary and wish them all the best with their little bundles!
*This post contains affiliate links*