Chunky Chicken Salad Spiked with Spicy Hot Sauce, Crisp Celery, and Tangy Blue Cheese, and Stuffed into Puffy Blue Cheese Choux Pastry Puffs. These Gougeres Filled with Buffalo Chicken Salad make Perfect Party Food!
I’m sharing something a little different today!
I am a huge fan of anything “Buffalo,” and if you’ve been clicking over to this page much in the last week or so, you know that I also love pate a choux puffs. First I made these, and then these. And now I’m showing you just how versatile choux can be, with this spicy cheesy creation!
We ate these for a quick dinner last night, before heading over to the fields for my kids’ first little league practice of the season. But I’m imagining they’d make a great nibble for a party! A fun, slider-sized appetizer or hors d’oeuvre, or buffet offering for a birthday luncheon or baby shower.
The chicken salad is chock full of crisp celery, sweet red onion, and chopped egg. The dressing is lightened up a bit with the addition of Greek yogurt. It gives a nice tangy flavor, and along with the chunks of blue cheese, really cools down the heat of the spicy buffalo dressing.
There’s also blue cheese in the choux puffs! Honestly, these puffy pastries are so good, even just on their own. They make a great snack, and a terrific accompaniment to a glass of red wine. They smell so toasty when they’re baking up in the oven! Your whole house will be filled with the cheesy aroma. Just try to resist popping them all in your mouth while they’re still warm…
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 ribs of celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup hot sauce (I used Crystal brand)
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice & zest of one lemon
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Poach the chicken breasts in simmering salted water for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Shred or chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl with all the remaining chicken salad ingredients, and toss well to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the water, butter, cheese, and salt in a saucepan. Heat over a medium-high flame, until the butter is completely melted and the mixture is simmering.
- Add in the flour all at once, and continue to cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until a film begins to form on the bottom of the pot.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and beat on medium speed.
- Drop in the eggs, one at a time. Allow each egg to become fully incorporated, before adding the next (about 30 seconds to a minute).
- Pipe or spoon the dough into 2-inch diamer mounds, onto parchment-lined baking sheets, allowing about 3 inches in between each puff.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until puffed, golden brown, hollow, dry, and light.
- Cool the gougeres completely and fill with Buffalo Chicken Salad.
As they puff up in the oven, they also hollow out on the inside. Slice off their tippy tops and find a little well that’s just begging to be filled with spicy buffalo chicken salad!
I hope you guys enjoyed my little side trip into the savory world today! Few things can draw my eye away from sugary, buttery treats, but I just can’t resist buffalo + blue cheese!
Have a great weekend, friends!
*This post contains affiliate links*
**This post was featured on the Show Stopper Saturday link party on Will Cook for Smiles**