Almond Joy Muffins Recipe
Bake up a batch of these Almond Joy Muffins! A perfect breakfast or brunch treat- you’ll love the rich chocolate, toasty coconut, and crunchy almonds!
So, I’m curious: how do you feel about coconut? I feel like it’s a polarizing ingredient. Like, either you love it or you hate it. Personally, I have been a hater for most of my life. But in recent years, I’ve really started to gain an appreciation. The more I eat it, the more I’m starting to really LOVE it. Especially when it’s paired with chocolate and almonds. These Almond Joy Muffins are quickly becoming a breakfast obsession for me.
There’s just something about the chocolate, almond, and coconut flavor combination. And I think the coconut is really the star of the show here. The toothsome texture gives these almond joy muffins a heartiness that’s just perfect as a morning meal. But also the flavor! The sweet, tropical taste is such a great break from the ordinary. Plus it’s so cold and dreary right now- we need something tropical to lift our spirits and make us feel all warm and sunshine-y! Right?
Don’t you just love how tall and fluffy they are? I love my muffins to have a big, tall, round crown. No flat muffins here, no thank you! Lets see them puffy, fluffy, tall and proud.
Would you believe these Almond Joy Muffins were baked in a microwave? I know! It actually is possible to make muffins this fluffy and golden brown in a microwave. Just click on over to KitchenAid’s blog, The Kitchenthusiast, for the full recipe and step-by-step picture tutorial.
Tons more fun breakfast treats on my “Breakfast/Brunch Recipes” Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Almond Joy Muffins
- 4 tablespoons (59.15 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1.5 teaspoons) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coconut extract
- 1/2 cup (90 g) semisweet chocolate chips,, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup (71.5 g) whole roasted almonds,, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup (42.5 g) coconut flakes,, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- Place the butter in a small bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on 50% power. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a muffin pan with liners.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the sugar, Greek yogurt, milk, egg, vanilla and coconut extracts, and melted butter. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry. Stir together until just barely combined (batter will be very thick).
- Fold in the chocolate chips, almonds, and coconut, and divide the batter evenly between 6 wells of the prepared muffin pan. Garnish with additional chocolate chips, almonds, and coconut (if desired).
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the oven temp to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for another 9 to 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of a muffin comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.