Baked Blueberry Sour Cream Donuts
Bake up a special breakfast treat for your loved ones today! Tender sour cream donuts, with summer’s best blueberries baked in, and a gorgeous blueberry glaze! Try adding a little fresh basil from your garden for a subtle hit of herbal freshness. Your family will love these soft cake donuts, studded with pockets of jammy blueberries!
Don’t you just love summer? I mean, the produce is so inspiring! I get so excited when the weather warms up, because I know I’m in for sweet peaches, cherries, plums, and every kind of berry under the sun.
Especially blueberries! During the rest of the year, I find them to be prohibitively expensive. But in the Philadelphia area, I often see buy-one-get-one-free pint-size baskets. I just love their subtle sweet flavor, and that color!
I’ve experimented with baked donuts before, and, while they were definitely a tasty and healthier alternative, I wasn’t in love with the texture. So, this time around, I really wanted to be sure to end up with a really light, melt-in-your mouth result. I did lots of research, and found a few useful bits of info.
First of all, use oil, as opposed to butter. Butter gives great flavor, but you are less likely to overwork the glutens in the flour (resulting in a chewy or stretchy texture) if you use oil.
Also, butter creates a very fine and even crumb, whereas oil results in more of a random, uneven pattern of voids (which is what I prefer in a cake donut).
And finally, donuts baked with oil are denser and remain moister. Nobody likes a dried out donut! Using oil is also a bit healthier than butter, and in this case, any resulting lack of flavor is made up for by the tangy richness of the sour cream.
Additionally, be really careful not to overwork the batter. I stir it just a few strokes, just until barely incorporated. The batter should look really lumpy. This way they bake up super soft, and tender as can be.
This glaze packs an awesome blueberry punch, not to mention a gorgeous color! You will love that little lift of bright flavor from the lemon zest, and just the barest whisper of basil freshness. So summery!
And it does harden a bit as it dries, as opposed to just soaking the cake with a sticky syrup. I love the soft matte sheen!
What are your favorite fruits of this season? And how do you like to bake them up?
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bake up a special breakfast treat for your loved ones today! Tender sour cream donuts with summer’s best blueberries baked in, and a gorgeous blueberry glaze! Try adding a little fresh basil from your barden for a subtle hit of herbal freshness. Your family will love these soft cake donuts, studded with pockets of jammy blueberries!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (zest of 1/2 lemon)
- 1 small basil leaf, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and lightly mist a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture, until just barely combined and lumpy.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, and transfer the mixture to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until just beginning to brown around the edges. Cool completely, and drizzle or dip in glaze.
- Place all the glaze ingredients in a blender, chopper, or food processor, and process until smooth.