Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
Celebrate back-to-school with this fun Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake recipe! Moist and fluffy peanut butter cupcakes are filled with grape jam, and topped with swirls of peanut butter buttercream frosting. They’ll make you feel like a kid again!
Woo-hoo Fri-DAY! We made it, folks.
Made it through the first week of school. Made it through all the preparations, the lunch-packing, the pencil-sharpening, and the scads of papers sent home to be filled out. I’m ready for a glass of wine. And a cupcake.
It sounds like I’m complaining, but really, I love this time of year, and always have. Even- no especially, when I was a little kid and it was me who was heading off to school each morning. Yes, I was that dorky kid. So I decided to celebrate all the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I packed this week with what else? But more peanut butter and jelly. I guess I’m just a glutton for
This cupcake recipe is based off of my favorite basic vanilla cupcake recipe, so you know it’s easy to make with minimal cleanup. Everything happens in just one bowl! And they bake up moist and fluffy, but sturdy enough to stand up to lots of rich peanut butter buttercream frosting. And we are also going to go ahead and fill them with a generous dollop of grape jam.
Just use the point of a sharp knife to cut a little well in the center, and the jam nestles right in.
I used a 4B tip to pipe the peanut butter frosting swirls, and if you just slightly warm the jam in the microwave, it’s the perfect drizzling consistency. 😉
Here’s to a new school year! Have a great holiday weekend, everyone!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup (187.5 g) cake flour
- 3/4 cup (93.75 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 teaspoon) baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1 1/8 cup (255.38 g) unsalted butter, (2 1/4 sticks), softened
- 3/4 cup (193.5 g) smooth peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup (81.33 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1.5 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (510 g) grape jam, (plus a little more for garnish)
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- Place the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter, and mix on medium-low speed, until the mixture resembles damp sand.
- Stir in the peanut butter, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, then add the Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
- Mix on medium-high speed for approximately 90 seconds, to aerate the batter and build the cake's structure.
- Place about 1/4 cup of batter in each well of the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool completely, then cut a small well in each and fill with grape jam.
- Top with buttercream and drizzle with more grape jam.
To make the Buttercream:
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a large metal mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Set the bowl over a small pot of simmering water, and heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture becomes translucent and no longer feels gritty when rubbed between the thumb and forefinger.
- Remove from heat and whip on high speed until the meringue becomes glossy and thick.
- Cool completely (there should be no hint of warmth when the hand is place on the side of the bowl. Place in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes, if necessary.)
- Add the butter, a tablespoon at a time, while whipping on medium-high.
- When all the butter has been added, fold in the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.