Celebrate your next big occasion with a giant chocolate chip cookie cake! Buttery and soft, with plenty of melty chocolate running all throughout. And don’t forget the rainbow sprinkles!
Hello my friend! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend!
Now that the Easter and Passover buzz are dying down, it’s time to think about birthdays. In my family, we have lots of spring birthdays, and I always get lots of requests for this giant chocolate chip cookie cake!
The recipe is based on my favorite Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, so you know it’s going to be gooey, chocolate-y, and soooo comforting, with no chilling required!
I like to bake it up in this ceramic quiche pan that we’ve had forever, but I’m sure it would work in any kind of a tart pan.
It’s super easy to make, so if you’re pressed for time and the thought of making an actual layer cake is giving you hives, this is a much less time-consuming option. And everybody always loves it like crazy, so, no guilt!
HERE ARE A FEW HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CAKE:
- Cream the butter and sugars together on medium-high speed for a good, long time. I like to give it at least 3 to 5 full minutes. This will make the cookie cake nice and soft and tender.
- The additional egg yolk will help your cookie cake to be extra rich and to stay soft for longer.
- I love to put a little cornstarch in all my cookie recipes, because it helps provide structure without toughness. It’s a great trick!
- Be careful not to overwork the dough once the flour is in. It can develop the glutens and cause the cookie cake to be tough.
- Lately, I’ve been loving this cookie recipe with bittersweet chocolate chips. They really provide a nice balance to all the sweet. I’m linking to the kind I like, but if you prefer semi-sweet (or any other kind of chip, for that matter!) feel free to substitute.
This chocolate chip cookie cake is PERFECTION as is, but to jazz it up a little bit and make it extra-special, you can decorate it with buttercream and sprinkles.
Then, garnish with rainbow sprinkles!
I think your family is going to LOVE this chocolate chip cookie cake! And you will love how easy it is to make, and how soft, gooey, and chocolate-y it is!
Keep it on rotation for all your family birthdays! It will not disappoint!
More great cookie recipes on my “Cookie Recipes Galore” Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Celebrate your next big occasion with a giant chocolate chip cookie cake! Buttery and soft, with plenty of melty chocolate running all throughout. And don't forget the rainbow sprinkles!
For the cookie
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
For the decoration:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- rainbow sprinkles, for garnish
To make the cookie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly mist a 10-inch tart pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed until very pale and fluffy (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating until completely incorporated.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, then add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, stirring on medium-low speed just until all the ingredients are combined (do not over-mix).
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared pan, spreading it in an even layer.
- Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle.
- Cool completely, then decorate with buttercream and rainbow sprinkles.
To decorate the chocolate chip cookie cake:
- Place the butter and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, a half cup at a time, beating on medium speed until incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Whip the frosting on medium-high speed until very fluffy.
- Whip in the cream (as needed) to achieve a more spreadable consistency.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a jumbo open star tip, and pipe swirls around the outside edge of the cooled chocolate chip cookie cake.
- Garnish with rainbow sprinkles.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 658kcal Calories from fat 317|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 35g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||105%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|