Sip on this Cherry Almond Mocha Smoothie: it’s a sweet and seasonal pick-me-up!
Hello my friends! Last night, I finally made it home, after 9 straight days of travelling to 3 separate destinations. It was a bit of a whirlwind and I am completely behind on everythiiiiing! But that was pretty much what I expected would happen, so I’m trying not to panic 😉
I haven’t really been able to keep up with my social media much, so if you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Google + you may have noticed I’ve been pretty quiet. I also haven’t been able to comment on my friends’ blogs very much, but I tried to make up for it by pinning a lot. And my own comment inbox is overflowing, so please be patient with me this week as I try to answer all your sweet messages over the next several days!
I whipped this treat up two weeks ago and snapped the pics, but I’m just getting around to filling you guys in on it now. It’s awesome!
I went back and forth on whether to call it a frap or a smoothie, but in the end “smoothie” won out because it ended up being mostly fruit. Let’s talk about this fruit, shall we? I was beyond thrilled to receive this mahoosive crate of fresh, plump, juicy black cherries from Stemilt Growers. Seriously. Are cherries like the best, most awesome thing about summer or what? I truly look forward to them all year ’round, and now they’re finally here! And I’ve got tons, woot!
For years I pushed off the purchase of my cherry pitter, and I have no idea why. It’s a great tool and really kind of essential if you want to be able to take advantage of the opportunity to bake with fresh cherries. Or, if you’re like me and you have little kids that can’t seem to figure out how to spit out the pit! I love feeding fruit to my kids and I don’t want them to not be able to enjoy cherries in summer. That’s just un-American. Get yourself this cherry pitter stat, and if it makes you feel any better, it works great with olives too.
So, besides the gorgeous cherries this smoothie also has coffee, chocolate, almonds, and milk. I used dairy milk but I’m sure it would be equally delicious with almond milk too. Almonds and cherries are a classic combo, for good reason. They’re actually in the same family and the flavors complement each other beautifully. I really think you are going to love this smoothie! It’s kinda different, in that the flavor is so rich and intense. Once again we have a foodie love triangle happening—> coffee loves chocolate loves cherries. Win.
Cherry Almond Mocha Smoothie
Sip on this Cherry Almond Mocha Smoothie: it's a sweet and seasonal pick-me-up!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bing cherries, pitted
- 1 cup ice (I used frozen coffee ice cubes)
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, cold
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- sugar to taste (I used 1 tablespoon)
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 361kcal Calories from fat 84|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I nearly forgot to mention that all this was for Mystery Dish! Sarah, from The Pajama Chef, was our host this month and she gave us a great list of ingredients to work with:
- coffee (grounds or brewed)
- sour cream
- infused or flavored olive oil
- fresh herbs (any kind)
- hot peppers (any kind)
Here’s what the other Mystery Dish peeps came up with:
1. Watermelon Salsa – The Pajama Chef
2. Farro Salad – Chez CateyLou
3. Cherry Almond Coffee Cake – Two Happy Bellies
4. Watermelon Fruit Salad with Mint Lime Dressing – Yummy Healthy Easy
5. Toasted Almond Caramel Mocha Gelato – Culinary Couture Blog
6. Cherry Galettes with Almond Sour Cream Crust – The Well Floured Kitchen
7. Cherry Watermelon Granita – Joyful Healthy Eats
8. Cherry Almond Mocha Smoothie – Baking a Moment
9. Pepperoni Pasta Salad – I Want Crazy
10. Almond Cherry Bars – I Dig Pinterest
11. Cucumber Salsa – Weary Chef
12. Cherry Almond Popsicles – Blahnik Baker
Hope you enjoy!