Citrus Galette for The Kitchenthusiast
Mixed Citrus Galette
This Mixed Citrus Galette with Buttery Walnut Filling is like a Beam of Sunshine on a raw January Day!
Follow me over to the KitchenAid blog, The Kitchenthusiast, to read all about how to make this rustic and delicious mixed citrus galette!
It’s just bursting with tart grapefruit, Satsuma orange, Meyer Lemon and kumquat fruits, all nestled into a rich walnut filling. The crust is flaky as can be, and I’m spilling all my pie crust secrets!
Whip up this easy pastry and enjoy the best and brightest flavors of this season.
Mixed Citrus Galette
This mixed citrus galette with buttery walnut filling is like a beam of sunshine on a raw January day!
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
- Approximately 3-6 tablespoons ice water
- For the walnut filling
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon liqueur, such as Grand Marnier, brandy, or cognac (vanilla extract can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the citrus topping
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 Satsuma orange
- 4 kumquats
- 1/2 cup citrus juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
For the crust:
- Stir the flour and salt together in a KitchenAid® stand mixer to combine.
- Add the olive oil and mix on low speed with the whip attachment, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Toss in the butter slices and shake to coat.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment.
- Mixing on low speed, dribble in the ice water a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is just beginning to hold its shape.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll it into an oblong shape on a lightly floured work surface.
- Fold into thirds, roll again, and fold into thirds once again.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to several days.
For the walnut filling
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed, using the paddle attachment, until pale and fluffy.
- Add the walnuts and flour and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the egg, liqueur, and salt until smooth.
For the citrus topping
- Slice the fruits to a thickness of ¼ inch, discarding the tops and bottoms.
- Layer evenly in a medium saucepan.
- Pour the juice over and place on medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, swirling the pot occasionally.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the surface, and simmer for another 20 minutes, swirling occasionally, until the fruit is soft and the juice is syrupy.
To assemble the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the pie dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch and transfer to a pie plate.
- Spread the walnut filling evenly in the center of the dough, leaving a 3 inch margin all around the edge.
- Top with citrus.
- Fold up the sides, pleating as needed.
- Brush the dough with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water), and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4014kcal Calories from fat 1924|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 214g||329%|
|Saturated Fat 91g||455%|
|Dietary Fiber 22g||88%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|