Citrus Galette for The Kitchenthusiast
This mixed citrus galette with buttery walnut filling is like a beam of sunshine on a raw January Day!
Follow me over to the KitchenAid blog, The Kitchenthusiast, to read all about how to make this rustic and delicious mixed citrus galette!
It’s just bursting with tart grapefruit, Satsuma orange, Meyer Lemon and kumquat fruits, all nestled into a rich walnut filling. The crust is flaky as can be, and I’m spilling all my pie crust secrets!
Whip up this easy pastry and enjoy the best and brightest flavors of this season.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This mixed citrus galette with buttery walnut filling is like a beam of sunshine on a raw January day!
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 Satsuma orange
- 4 kumquats
- 1/2 cup citrus juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Stir the flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl to combine.
Add the olive oil and whisk until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Toss in the butter slices and shake to coat.
Dribble in the ice water a tablespoon at a time, stirring, until the mixture is just beginning to hold its shape.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll it into an oblong shape on a lightly floured work surface.
- Fold into thirds, roll again, and fold into thirds once again.
Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to several days.
Cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add the walnuts and flour and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the egg, liqueur, and salt until smooth.
- Slice the fruits to a thickness of ¼ inch, discarding the tops and bottoms.
- Layer evenly in a medium saucepan.
- Pour the juice over and place on medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, swirling the pot occasionally.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the surface, and simmer for another 20 minutes, swirling occasionally, until the fruit is soft and the juice is syrupy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll the pie dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch and transfer to a pie dish.
- Spread the walnut filling evenly in the center of the dough, leaving a 3 inch margin all around the edge.
- Top with citrus.
- Fold up the sides, pleating as needed.
Brush the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes.