Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes, & a Giveaway!
These Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes are such a fun summertime treat! That same citrus-y vanilla flavor you loved as a kid, in cupcake form. Plus, enter to win a fabulous prize pack from the author of Cupcakery!
Hey guys! I’ve got a really fun recipe for ya today. And a great giveaway too!
Do you know Toni from Make Bake Celebrate? I had the pleasure of meeting her a year or so ago, and she’s just as nice in person as she comes across on her blog!
I fell in love with her site way back in December 2013, when it inspired me to create these Chocolate Peppermint Meringue Christmas Trees. And now today, I’m once again putting my own spin on one of her fabulous ideas!
Orange Creamsicle is such a summertime classic. This happens to be a favorite flavor of my mom’s, so these babies are headed her way for sure! She gave up her entire Saturday to help me clear the junk out of my kids’ playroom this past weekend. It was no small task, let me assure you. It’s pretty mind-blowing how much C-R-A-P two kids can accumulate over the course of a few years. We packed up no less than half a dozen huge moving boxes full of toys, and scrubbed every surface of that room. It sparkles now.
But enough about that! Let’s talk cupcakes. Toni’s new book, Cupcakery, is jam-packed with fun ideas like this one. In addition to some great baking and decorating tips and tricks, she’s got a cupcake recipe for any and every occasion. There are cupcakes for breakfast (her Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes spoke to my heart), cupcakes inspired by ice cream, cookies, and pie (hi Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes), kid-inspired treats (my boys would go ga-ga over her Dirt Pudding Cupcakes), and lots of other creative ideas to wow your party guests. Then, the second half of the book is entirely devoted to cupcakes inspired by the seasons. And you know how much I love to bake with the seasons! She’s got a cupcake recipe for every holiday you can think of, and then some.
Cupcakery is sort of a cross between a cookbook and a craft book. The recipes are super-simple (most start with a box mix), and the real star of the show is just the unique flavor combinations and the adorable way Toni has of styling her cupcakes with fun papers, beautifully piped swirls, and unique toppers. Toni has such an incredible aesthetic that is so bright, colorful, and happy- it just puts you right in a party mood!
Since I have a thing for scratch-baking, and since Toni’s ideas are so adaptable, I’ve used my Even Simpler, More Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes as the starting point here, jazzing it up in just the same way Toni recommends doing with the box mix. The orange soda is such a fun addition and really brings out that creamsicle vibe!
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
These Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes are such a fun summertime treat! That same citrus-y vanilla flavor you loved as a kid, in cupcake form.
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup orange soda (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of half an orange
- orange gel food coloring
For the Frosting
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of half an orange
- pinch of kosher salt
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons milk
- orange gel food coloring
- orange sprinkles, for garnish
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the cupcake pans with papers.
- Place the cake flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the softened butter, mixing on medium-low speed until the mixture resembles damp sand. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, then add the sour cream, orange soda, vanilla, zest, and food coloring. Mix on medium speed for about a minute and a half.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when pressed. Cool completely before frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Place the butter, extracts, zest, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on low speed until combined. Turn up the speed to medium-high and continue to beat for about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Drizzle in the milk, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a creamy, pipe-able consistency. Reserve about 1 cup of un-tinted frosting, then add the color to the remaining. Pipe the orange frosting on the cupcakes using a large round tip, then top with swirls of un-tinted frosting (using a large star tip) and orange sprinkles.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 422kcal Calories from fat 193|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
You can purchase Cupcakery here. I promise you won’t be disappointed! It’s such a fun read and there’s tons of useful info and inspiration.
But- before I sign off, check out this fabulous giveaway Toni is offering!
1. 9in Milkglass Cake Stand – provided by Country SweetArt Kitchen
2. 4 Piece Wilton Tip Set – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
3. Mama & Madison Custom Apron – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
4. Paper Straw Party Combo – Provided By Sweets & Treats
5. Sprinkle Prize Pack (assortment picked by sponsor) – Provided By Country SweetArt Kitchen
6. $50.00 Credit to Sweets & Treats – Provided By <ahref=”https://shopsweetsandtreats.com” target=”_blank”>Sweets & Treats
7. AmeriColor Gel Color 12 Pack – Provided By Country SweetArt Kitchen
8. 12 Ct. 12in Disposable Decorating Bags – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
9. KitchenAid Measuring Cups – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
10. Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt Stand Mixer Winners Choice of Color – Provided by Make Bake Celebrate
11. 2 Pk. Pink Mini Spatulas – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
12. Wilton 24 Cavity Cupcake Pan – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
13. Wilton Filling Tip & Cupcake Corer – Provided By Make Bake Celebrate
*Giveaway is open to US entries only. Proof of purchased or entry validation may need to be provided by winner upon winning. Winner will be chosen at random on July 08, 2015. Make Bake Celebrate, and all participating bloggers have the right to display winner name(s) on all electronic publications including but not limited to; blog posts, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. If for any reason a prize is unavailable Make Bake Celebrate has the right to replace said prize for another similar item of equal value.
This post contains affiliate sales links