Pavlovas with Strawberries and Balsamic
These Airy Pavlovas are Crowned with Softly Whipped Cream and topped with a Sweet Strawberry Balsamic Jam. You’ll love this Pillowy Light Baked Meringue Dessert! Naturally Gluten Free.
Hi friends! I just want to say thanks so much to all of you who’ve been so kind in wishing me a speedy recovery. I’m doing lots better than I was; no more fever and just a little bit of a stuffy, achy head at this point. It sure is tough to stay healthy when the kiddos seem to pick up every bug that comes down the pike! But I’m up and around again and just trying my best to get caught up. Boy, it only takes a day or two before everything seems to just come loose at the seams. Heaven help me!
Thank goodness for easy recipes! I really wanted to keep it simple for today’s post. I know it sounds kinda fancy, but just think of this as a baked meringue with whipped cream and berries. That’s really all there is to it!
I love them for Easter, because they’re eggy, but happily, they’re also perfect for Passover because there’s no flour or leavening. Which means they’re also gluten free 😉
This dessert is all about balance. Keep the whipped cream unsweetened- the meringue is already pretty sweet. I did add the seeds of a vanilla bean though. So good!
And the berries…! Oh, my goodness, this strawberry balsamic thing. I am telling YOU! It is seriously to die for. I know it maybe sounds a little strange, but it is actually a classic pairing. It doesn’t taste vinegary, per se, but the balsamic vinegar just brings something out in the berries… somehow it makes them taste even more strawberry-ish. Half the berries get simmered in sugar and balsamic, for a quick jam/preserve kinda thing, and then the other half get folded into that, so sometimes you get a berry that’s sort of chewy/syrupy, sometimes you get a fresh berry that’s tart and juicy, and all of it is slicked in this musty, fruity drizzle.
That little bit of basil sure looks pretty, too, right? It’s amazing how much basil flavor permeates into the dessert, just with those few leaves scattered on top. It really compliments so well! That little hit of herbal freshness just brings everything together: sweet, crumbly-marshmallowy meringue, pillowy cream, summery berries, and a hint of basil… mm!
Pavlovas with Strawberries and Balsamic
These Airy Pavlovas are Crowned with Softly Whipped Cream and topped with a Sweet Strawberry Balsamic Jam. You'll love this Pillowy Light Baked Meringue Dessert! Naturally Gluten Free.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered (divided)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- seeds scraped from a vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- a few sprigs of fresh basil
Make the Meringues:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Whip the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Gradually and very S-L-O-W-L-Y, add in the sugar, while whipping. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place 6 dollops of meringue, about 4 inches in diameter, on parchment-lined baking sheets. Use the back of a spoon to shape the meringues, creating a slight well in the centers.
- Bake for one hour, turn off the oven, and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon until completely cooled.
Make the Strawberry Balsamic Topping:
- Place 1½ cups of strawberries in a wide shallow pan, along with the sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Cool, and fold in the remaining berries.
Assemble the Pavlovas:
- Top each meringue with whipped cream and berries; garnish with fresh basil.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 401kcal Calories from fat 134|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
You’ve got to make this dessert! It’s so super simple to prepare, and yet so elegant. I’m telling you, you will swoon! I totally did, and I’m 99% sure it wasn’t the antihistamines.
Hopefully this weekend I’ll get caught up on visiting and commenting on blogs, so I’m sorry for being MIA this week! But we’ve also got little league games, my seven (!) -year old’s birthday, and eggs to dye/baskets to fill 😀 I hope you all have a lovely Easter, full of love and family and yummy treats!
*This post contains affiliate links*