Rhubarb Pistachio Baked Oatmeal
A warm, hearty baked oatmeal made with crunchy pistachios and fresh, seasonal rhubarb. This easy recipe is perfect for a spring or summer brunch!
Can you believe it’s Father’s Day week already? Are you ready for it? How do you usually celebrate?
My husband loves nothing more than to be on a beach, so for the past few years, we always take a little weekend getaway. His dad has a little house on the Jersey shore, and the whole family gets together for a nice brunch. I know he’s really looking forward to it this year.
I think brunch celebrations are probably pretty typical for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, so I thought this would be a good time to share this incredible breakfast recipe that’s especially great for feeding a crowd.
Can you believe I have never had baked oatmeal before? I’m so behind the times. Well, now that I’ve gone and done it, I’m sure there will be a lot more of it in my future.
I loved everything about it. It’s so easy to make, a little sweet and cinnamon-y, with a hearty texture that reminded me of a soft oatmeal cookie. Add some crunchy pistachios and tart, seasonal rhubarb and you have yourself a perfect breakfast dish.
Do you bake much with rhubarb? I absolutely love it. It’s truly one of my favorite things about spring. In case you aren’t familiar, the stalks look a lot like celery but they cook down to a tart, fruity, and slightly floral jam-like consistency that I just can’t get enough of. If you see some at your local farmer’s market I highly encourage you to pick some up! I’ve got quite a few rhubarb recipes on this site to get you started.
But for now, be sure to click on over to the KitchenAid blog to grab this baked oatmeal recipe! I think you’ll really love it!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Rhubarb Pistachio Baked Oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups (305 g) roughly chopped rhubarb, (1″- 2″ pieces)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (202.5 g) old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cups (61.5 g) shelled pistachios,, plus extra for garnish as desired
- 1 cup (220 g) light brown sugar,, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (244 ml) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1.5 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter,, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups (244 g) roughly chopped rhubarb, (1″- 2″ pieces)
- 3/4 cup (187.5 g) water
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the rhubarb in an even layer in the bottom of a 1.4-quart casserole dish, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place the oats, pistachios, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture into the oat mixture, and stir to mix the ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and mix until just combined.
- Spread the oatmeal mixture over the rhubarb, and bake for 40-45 minutes in.
- Sprinkle with a few more handfuls of crunchy pistachios, for garnish.
For the optional garnish
- Place the rhubarb in a small saucepan, along with water and sugar.
- Simmer over low heat until the rhubarb is soft, then strain the syrup into a small bowl, discarding the solids.
- Drizzle over the baked oatmeal to serve.