Rocky Road Sandwich Cookies
Soft double chocolate cookies with crunchy peanuts are sandwiched around a fluffy sweet vanilla marshmallow filling. Indulge in this decadent rocky road cookie recipe!
Hey guys! How was your weekend? Did you have a fabulous July 4th celebration?
Ours was really exciting! My regular readers probably already know about my live appearance on Fox TV’s Good Day show on Friday. That whole thing happened so fast I didn’t even have a chance to get nervous, lol! I somehow (adrenaline?) was able to whip up a cake, a dozen cupcakes, a bunch of shortcakes, yogurt parfaits, and a whole mess of white chocolate dipped strawberries in the span of an afternoon. Then, pack it all up and style it pretty in the studio bright and early the next morning. After it was all wrapped up, we headed down to the Ben Franklin Parkway for the big celebration (Philly OWNS the 4th!) to visit the Nutella truck, among other fun things. By the time we made it back home I basically just collapsed in a heap for the next 24 hours! #wornout.
But now that I’m fully rested I’m raring to go for another fun week of recipes! Starting with this one today- rocky road sandwich cookies. These are inspired by one of my favorite ice cream flavors. I think you’re really going to love these soft and deeply chocolate-y double chocolate peanut cookies, stuffed to capacity with gooey marshmallow filling. Talk about a decadent treat!
Hope your week is off to a great start! I’ll be back on Wednesday with another fabulous, no-bake Nutella recipe 😉
This post was featured on the Super Saturday link party on What’s Cooking with Ruthie
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rocky Road Sandwich Cookies
For the Marshmallow Filling
For the Chocolate Peanut Cookies
- 1/2 cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- 1 cup (220 g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, (large)
- 1 egg yolk, (large)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (28.67 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (180 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (146 g) cocktail peanuts
To make the Marshmallow Filling:
- Place half the water in a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle the powdered gelatin on top. Set aside and allow to soften.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, remaining water, and salt in a medium saucepan, and set over medium-high heat.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil, swirling the pot occasionally (do not stir).
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot, and keep the mixture at a low boil until it reaches 238 degrees F.
- Slowly and carefully pour the hot syrup over the gelatin mixture, while whipping at medium speed.
- Increase the speed to high and continue to whip until the marshmallow is stiff, glossy, and white.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, and allow to cool (at room temperature) for about an hour.
To make the Chocolate Peanut Cookies:
- Place the butter in a medium pot and melt it over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sugars.
- Crack in the eggs, stirring vigorously.
- Add the vanilla, then the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and peanuts, and scoop by the tablespoonful onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Press to flatten slightly.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are set, but the middle of the cookies are still soft.
To assemble the Rocky Road Sandwich Cookies:
- Scoop about a tablespoon of marshmallow filling onto the bottom of half the cookies. (I found a small ice cream scoop works really well for this. Mist it lightly with non-stick spray first!)
- Sandwich the remaining cookies on top and enjoy!