A Traditional New York Style Cheesecake Recipe, with a twist! A few ounces of Goat Cheese add a distinctive Tangy flavor to this Rich and Creamy Dessert Recipe, and a Crunchy Chocolate Cookie Crust and fruity Blackberry Topping take it to a whole new level! Plus tips on how to avoid a soggy crust.
Oh my gosh, am I ever excited to share this post with you today!
I have teamed up with over 60 other food bloggers to celebrate National Cheesecake Day!!! Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom so you can see the list of all the bloggers and all the fabulous cheesecake recipes! You’re sure to find at least a few to float your boat 😉
As soon as I was invited to participate, I knew I wanted to make something with goat cheese. I have made no secret about my love of all things goat. Remember this cajeta? <–It’s goat’s milk caramel and it’s seriously to die for. I just can’t get enough of the creamy, tangy stuff!
This cheesecake recipe is just as creamy, light, and rich as a traditional New York cheesecake, but with the addition of a few ounces of goat cheese. It’s not overwhelmingly goat-y, just a hint. Just enough to let you know that this cheesecake is a special cheesecake. 😉
One of the things I love so much about goat cheese is that it works so well in both savory and sweet dishes. To complement all the creamy goodness, I chose to top my cake with a quick blackberry compote. This is such a great time of year for berries and I wanted to be sure to get at least one or two good blackberry recipes on the blog while they last!
Now here is where I might lose some of you, if I haven’t already with all the goat talk: Sage. Blackberries and sage are a match made in heaven. It only takes one little sage leaf (keep it subtle) to bring this topping to a whole different level! All together, the flavors of goat cheese, blackberries, and sage, along with this chocolate-y cookie crust… it’s like, cue the choir of angels!
Speaking about crust, I used Famous Wafers here but you could also use crushed up Oreos or Oreo crumbs, if you can find them. If all else fails, my dark chocolate graham cracker recipe would be perfection!
After years of struggling with a soggy cheesecake crust (from baking in a springform pan in a waterbath= #leakymess) I finally threw in the towel and decided to just use a regular cake pan. This cheesecake bakes up at a petite 8 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches high (sans blackberry topping). Here are a few tips to ensure that your cheesecake comes out in one piece, with a nice crunchy crust:
- Spray the pan with baking spray.
- Line the pan with a circle cut from parchment paper.
- Allow the baked cheesecake to chill overnight in the fridge before turning it out of the pan.
- Run a thin knife around the perimeter, to loosen.
- Warm the outside of the pan with a hot, damp kitchen towel.
- Flip it upside-down onto a plate.
- Flip it right side up onto a serving platter.
I had no issues whatsoever. But, if you’re a nervous Nellie, go ahead and use a 9-inch springform pan, just be sure to double the recipe 😉
Blackberry Goat Cheese Cheesecake
A Traditional New York Style Cheesecake Recipe, with a twist! A few ounces of Goat Cheese add a distinctive Tangy flavor to this Rich and Creamy Dessert Recipe, and a Crunchy Chocolate Cookie Crust and fruity Blackberry Topping take it to a whole new level!
- ½ (9-ounce) package Famous Wafers (about 2 dozen wafers)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 6 ounces softened goat cheese
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 ounces (3 small baskets, or about 3½ cups) fresh blackberries, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 fresh sage leaf
- juice of half a lemon
- Place the Famous Wafers in the bowl of a food processor and process finely.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, cocoa, and salt, and process until well mixed.
- Finely mist an 8-inch diameter cake pan with non-stick spray, and line the pan with a circle of parchment.
- Press the cookie crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cream cheese and goat cheese in a large mixing bowl, and beat until creamy. Add in the sugar and whip until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula after each addition. Add the sour cream and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix once again to be sure the batter is not lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and place into a larger baking dish. Place in the oven and fill the larger dish with about an inch of water. Bake for 45 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Leave the baked cheesecake in the oven, oven door propped open with a wooden spoon, for about an hour or until the cheesecake is completely cooled. Refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.
- Place 1 cup of the blackberries in a small pot with the sugar, water, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmering and cook for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Mash the berries, add the sage, and allow to steep until slightly cooled.
- Remove the sage leaf and stir in the lemon juice. Pour the mixture over the remaining berries and toss to coat. Spoon the compote over the cheesecake.
Goat Cheese Cheesecake Filling recipe adapted from Ann Burrell.
Now if that wasn’t enough to get your mouth watering, check out this amazing list of fabulous cheesecake recipes:
- Apricot ricotta cheesecake from Diethood
- Blackberry Goat Cheese Cheesecake from Baking a Moment
- Blueberry Ricotta Cream Cheesecake from Hungry Couple
- Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake from Wishes and Dishes
- Chocolate Cheesecake w/ Whisky Toffee Shards from girlichef
- Chocolate chip cookie mini cheesecake from My Sweet Zepol
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cheesecake from Savvy Eats
- Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Crust from All Day I Dream About Food
- Hawaiian Chantilly Layer Cheesecake from Wallflour Girl
- Hawaiian Mini Cheesecakes from Pint Sized Baker
- Key Lime Pie Cheesecake from Love and Confections
- Lemon Cheesecake from Shugary Sweets
- Lemon Ginger Panna Cotta Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce from Girl Versus Dough
- Lightened Up Apricot-Swirl Cheesecake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Lilikoi Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Shortbread Crust from Dieter’s Downfall
- Mango Cheesecake (vegan) from Jessiker Bakes
- Mini cheesecakes with a toasted coconut crust (gluten free) from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes with Strawberry Balsamic Topping from Boulder Locavore
- Mom’s Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- New York Style Cheesecake from URBAN BAKES
- Oreo Cheesecake (vegan) from Namely Marly
- Oreo Ripple Cheesecake from Overtime Cook
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutella Ganache Topping from The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Rainbow Cheesecake from In Katrina’s Kitchen
- Raspberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust from Hip Foodie Mom
- Ricotta Cheesecake from French Press
- Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Snickers Cheesecake from Life, Love and Sugar
- Sugar cookie cheesecake from Munchkin Munchies
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from Wine & Glue
- Very Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Oreo Crust from JavaCupcake
- White Chocolate Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts and Caramel from Taste and Tell
- White Chocolate Frangelico Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake from Will Cook For Smiles
No Bake Cheesecakes:
- Berry Cheesecake from Food Lust People Love
- Blackberry Cheesecake from You Made That?
- Butter Pecan Caramel Mini Cheesecakes from Simply Southern Baking
- Cherry and Pistachio Cheesecake with Animal Cracker Crust from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dulce de Leche Cheesecake with Caramelized Peaches from The Food Charlatan
- Limoncello Cheesecake from Cake Duchess
- Mini Lime Cheesecakes from Miss in the Kitchen
- Neopolitan Cheesecake from Grandbaby Cakes
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from White Lights on Wednesday
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- S’mores Cheesecake from The Gunny Sack
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Milkshake from Blahnik Baker
- Caramel Cheesecake Martini from Happy Food, Healthy Life
Cheesecake Cookies and Bars:
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars from Cooking with Jax
- Caramel Overload Cheesecake Bars from Crumbs and Chaos
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Inside BruCrew Life
- Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Cookies from Lemons for Lulu
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars from Chez CateyLou
- Healthier Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars from Texanerin Baking
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars from Cooking In Stilettos
- No Bake Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars from Beyond Frosting
- No Bake Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars from Garnish with Lemon
- Pear cheesecake with gingersnap crust from Roxana’s Home Baking
- Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake Bars from A Kitchen Addiction
Cheesecake Desserts and Treats:
- Banana Foster No Bake Cheesecake Shooters from Mind Over Batter
- Blackberry Cheesecake Brownies from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Chocolate Nutella Cheesecake Cake from gotta get baked
- Key Lime Trifles from Hoosier Homemade
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pots from Barbara Bakes
- Triple Brigadeiro Cheesecake Tart from From Brazil To You
Frozen Cheesecakes and Treats:
- Blackberry Cheesecake Popsicles from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Ice Cream from Chocolate Moosey
- Frozen PB&C Cheesecake from Noshing With The Nolands
- Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutter Butter Crust from Crazy for Crust
Can you even?!?
I’ll be talking to you again on Friday; my good friend and blog designer Lisa from Sweet2Eat Baking was kind enough to create a lovely guest post for me, while I scramble to get caught up again after my whirlwind travel tour last week. You guys are going to love what she made for us!
*This post contains affiliate links*