Homemade Pastry Cream is so versatile! Every good baker should have a go-to recipe. Learn how to whip up this creamy, egg-y filling like a pro, with this easy video tutorial! (Gluten and dairy free.) And don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post for an awesome giveaway from Tieks!
Good morning, friends! How was your holiday weekend? Ours was very busy, with birthday festivities, holiday celebrations, and lots of time with family. Plus I am still in the process of getting everything back in order, after the big kitchen paint project. I thought I would have been able to share lots of gorgeous pics with you by now, but it’s funny how these things always seem to take longer than we expect them to. Look for something from me by the end of this week though, for sure!
For today’s post I’m sharing a basic recipe that every good baker should have in her back pocket.
Pastry cream is a “building block recipe” that can be used in so many ways. As a filling for cakes, eclairs, layered into parfaits, or as a base for a cream pie, you will never run out of uses for this versatile item.
I think any time we hear about tempering eggs we tend to get a bit nervous, but this is truly so easy you could practically do it in your sleep. To prove just how do-able homemade pastry cream can be, I made you a little video!
Royalty Free Music from Bensound
Homemade Pastry Cream
Homemade Pastry Cream is so versatile! Every good baker should have a go-to recipe. Learn how to whip up this creamy, egg-y filling like a pro! (Gluten and dairy free.)
Yield: a little over 1 1/2 cups
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (dairy, nut, soy, or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Heat the milk in a small pot until small bubbles form around the edge, and wisps of steam are rising from the surface.
- Add the hot milk to the egg mixture, a little at a time, whisking to combine. When all the milk has been added, transfer the mixture back to the pot and place over medium-low heat. Cook the pastry cream, whisking, until thickened.
- Stir in the vanilla, and pour the pastry cream through a fine mesh strainer, into a heat-safe bowl. Use the back of a ladle to press the mixture through the sieve. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly onto the surface, and refrigerate.
Hopefully that shows how easy homemade pastry cream is to make. If you’ve never tasted it before, it’s sort of like a cross between creme brulee and vanilla pudding. I used to make huge hotel pans of it every week, back in my days in the professional kitchen, and we always used regular dairy milk. But now, in my home kitchen, it’s just small batches, and lately I’ve really been loving coconut milk pastry cream, for a dairy-free option. And it’s also naturally gluten-free, so this is a really great thing if you or someone you love has food allergies or sensitivities.
Now- as a special treat to you guys, for being such sweet and loyal friends to me, I want to treat you to a pair of new Spring kicks!
Don’t these shoes look so comfy? And I just love all the colors they come in. Enter to win a pair with the widget below!
(for US residents only)
We’ll chat again soon- have a great week, my dears!
Some tools/ingredients you may need for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links.