Cherry Chip Cupcakes with Bourbon Vanilla Frosting for #CookfortheCure
Pretty cherry chip cupcakes for your #CookfortheCure Party! Raise donations for Susan G. Komen’s 1,000 Cooks for the Cure by baking these light and moist pink buttermilk cupcakes, studded with maraschino cherries and topped with a fluffy bourbon vanilla whipped cream cheese frosting.
I’m so thrilled to be bringing you guys this post today!
It’s for a very special and important cause. You know it’s a great world we’re living in when cupcakes can help to cure breast cancer!
I mean that’s probably oversimplifying a very complicated topic but… in a roundabout way!
Has anyone in your life ever been touched by breast cancer? I doubt the answer is no. My grandmother had it at one point (caught it early and was a-ok), and I have two other friends my own age who have both beat it. It’s a devastating disease and I hate it with a fiery passion. I want to kick it in the A** but good!
Are ya with me???
How would you like to host a party to help fight breast cancer? KitchenAid and Susan G. Komen have teamed up to bring us 1,000 Cooks for the Cure, a program that aims to enlist 1,000 cooks from the U.S. to host a get-together with friends, family or colleagues anytime from July 18-27, 2014. In lieu of a host gift, encourage your guests to bring a donation (in any amount) to support the fight against breast cancer.
I know you guys love to cook for your loved ones. I know you are all hostesses with the mostesses. Let’s do this!
To further entice you to join 1,000 Cooks for the Cure, I’m batting my lashes and offering you my prettiest pink cupcakes…
Cherry Chip! It all begins with the lightest, most melt in your mouth, moist buttermilk cake recipe that you’ve ever tasted. I chopped up my maraschinos with the Cadillac of all food processors. This thing is amazing. Tons of bowls and attachments, and it purrs like a kitten. That is not an affiliate link, nor is this post sponsored, you’ve just gotta know, this thing is a powerhouse!
The chopped cherries turn the batter such a pretty pink color…
Sweet and seasonal Rainier cherries continue the pink theme, and you’re going to love this fluffy, fluffy frosting! It’s kind of a hybrid between whipped cream and cream cheese frosting. Fluffy as can be, with a slight hint of tangy cream cheese flavor. The cream cheese also helps to stabilize the whipped cream so it doesn’t deflate or weep. Have you ever made stabilized whipped cream with gelatin? I have and it works well, but I prefer this method. It’s a little less fussy to me, has a great flavor, and doesn’t develop those odd strands or gooey bits that I’ve found every now and then with gelatin. Just be sure that the cream cheese is room temperature, the cream is cold, and don’t overwhip it. It only takes a minute or less to form stiff peaks once all the cream is incorporated.
Try adding a teaspoon or so of good bourbon if you’re serving grownups at your Cook for the Cure party! Bourbon, vanilla, and cherries are a match made in heaven!
You’ll find lots of pink inspiration for your party on the Cook for a Cause Pinterest board, so you’ll definitely want to check that out for recipes, decorations, and party tips.
But first, click over to 1,000 Cooks for the Cure to register to host your get-together, and don’t forget to write down your host id number! I’ll be offering a fabulous giveaway next week and that number will get you extra entries! You don’t want to miss this one, trust me!!!
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cherry Chip Cupcakes with Bourbon Vanilla Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups (156.25 g) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (133.33 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup (157.73 ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (157.73 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 egg white, (large)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (2.5 g) maraschino cherries,, drained and finely chopped
- 4 ounces (113.4 g) cream cheese, (half a brick; do not use the kind in a tub)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon good bourbon whiskey,, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) heavy cream,, cold
To Make the Cherry Chip Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir the buttermilk, oil, egg white, extracts, and vinegar together, in a large liquid measure.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and mix on low speed until smooth, about a minute. Stir in the chopped cherries and fill the prepared pan no more than ⅔ full of batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a bamboo skewer inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Do not brown. Cool completely and frost with Bourbon Vanilla Frosting.
To Make the Bourbon Vanilla Frosting:
- Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl, along with the sugar, bourbon (if using), and extracts. Beat on medium speed (using the paddle attachment) until smooth and creamy.
- With the mixer at medium low speed, pour in the cold cream in a slow and steady stream.
- When all of the cream has been incorporated, stop the mixer, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, switch to the whisk attachment, and then whip on medium high until the frosting holds stiff peaks (about a minute). Take care not to over-whip, or the frosting could thin out and become runny.