Chubby Hubby Soft Pretzels and Dip
Have you ever had Chubby Hubby Ice Cream? These Peanut Butter Stuffed Soft Pretzels capture the flavors perfectly, when paired with a sweet and creamy Banana Vanilla Malted Dip with Chocolate Chips. This dessert was just made for Superbowl snacking!
The other day my friend was telling me that Superbowl Sunday is the second biggest foodie holiday there is, after Thanksgiving. Can you believe that??? I was kind of surprised, but I guess it makes sense. I mean, after nearly a month of punishing ourselves for all our holiday food transgressions with juice cleanses and kale salads and green smoothies, we’re suddenly given this “free pass,” to gorge on all the buffalo wings, chili cheese fries, and chips and dip there is, all in the name of a football game.
Not that I’m complaining, by any means! I may not be much of a football lover, but any excuse to get together with friends and eat junk food is ok by me! Especially when you can totally do it in a tee shirt and sweatpants.
I just want to make sure you save some room for dessert 😉
The Mr. and I love to entertain our friends and family, it’s really one of our favorite things to do. We love planning the menu together, and writing it up on our chalkboard wall. And then we go down the list and assign who’s going to make what, and really we work pretty well in the kitchen together. It’s a lot of fun! But the one part that we don’t always like is how expensive it can be!
The last time I hosted Thanksgiving dinner was three years ago, and I want to say I spent over $300 on everything. It kinda broke the bank yo. I mean, I love doing it, but now that I know there’s a better way…
I bought our Christmas Eve food at Aldi and I couldn’t believe the savings. We had spiral sliced ham, homemade buttermilk biscuits, broccoli cheddar soup, chips and dips for snacking, a hot cocoa bar and a huuuuge variety of homemade cookies for dessert. I got almost everything at Aldi and it rang in at less than $85. So basically Aldi has become my go-to for entertaining.
And for this year’s Superbowl Bash, I’ll be passing around these peanut butter stuffed soft pretzels while they’re hot out of the oven.
Have you ever made homemade soft pretzels before? Dude, they are really easy. They’re made with just a handful of pantry staples!
Stuffing them with peanut butter chips sounds like black magic but I promise it’s totally doable. I even made a little video to prove it!
You see that? It’s a lot like making a dumpling. The best advice I can give you here is just to make sure the chips are sealed in there really well. If they poke out at all then the chips will melt out as the pretzels are boiling and baking, and that is just so sad. If your chips are on the large side, you may want to give them a rough chop because the smaller ones seem to behave themselves a little better.
You can make the pretzels ahead and just keep them warm in the oven. I highly recommend serving them warm, so the peanut butter filling is melty. YUM! And the sweet and creamy dip just completes the whole Chubby Hubby experience, bringing the banana, vanilla malt, and chocolate flavor that we all know and love.
Chubby Hubby Soft Pretzels and Dip
Have you ever had Chubby Hubby Ice Cream? These Peanut Butter Stuffed Soft Pretzels capture the flavors perfectly when paired with a sweet and creamy Banana Vanilla Malted Dip with Chocolate Chips. This dessert was just made for Superbowl snacking!
For the Peanut Butter Stuffed Soft Pretzels
- 1/4 cup Bakers Corner brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Bakers Corner dry yeast packet
- 2 tablespoons Carlini vegetable or canola oil
- 3 cups Bakers Corner all-purpose flour
- approx. 1 1/2 cups Bakers Corner peanut butter baking chips
- about 2 quarts water, for boiling
- 1/4 cup Bakers Corner baking soda
- egg wash (1 Goldhen large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- kosher salt to taste
For the Vanilla Malted Cream Cheese Banana Chocolate Dip
- 4 ounces Happy Farms cream cheese (the kind in a brick), softened
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons Bakers Corner granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Friendly Farms heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1/2 cup Bakers Corner mini chocolate chips
To Make the Peanut Butter Stuffed Soft Pretzels:
- Place the brown sugar in a large mixing bowl and pour the warm water over. Stir to combine, and sprinkle the yeast over the surface. Allow to proof for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Stir in the oil, and add the flour, a cup at a time. When the dough starts to form a ball, and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. (You may not need all of the flour.) If the dough seems very sticky, knead in up to 1/3 cup additional flour, as needed.
- Lightly mist the mixing bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise in a warm place, about one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough, divide it into 12 equal balls, and roll each into a rope about 8 inches long. Flatten slightly, and place about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter chips down the center. Bring up the long sides of the dough around the peanut butter chips, carefully pinching to seal them inside. Roll the filled rope again, to a length of about 12-14 inches, and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Place the stuffed pretzels on a lightly greased baking sheet, and allow to proof, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Bring about 2 quarts of water to a simmer in a wide, shallow pot. Add the baking soda. The mixture will bubble up for a few seconds. Boil the pretzels, a few at a time, for about a minute on each side. Drain on clean kitchen towels and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Serve warm with Vanilla Malted Cream Cheese Banana Chocolate Dip.
To Make the Vanilla Malted Cream Cheese Banana Chocolate Dip:
- Place the cream cheese, banana, malt powder, sugar, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl and whip on medium high speed until creamy.
- Slowly drizzle in the cold cream, while whipping, until the mixture is fluffy and holds stiff peaks.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and serve with warm soft pretzels.
Some of these items are Special Buy or Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 472kcal Calories from fat 259|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 29g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Are you planning a Superbowl bash this year? What are your favorite football foods? Do you do a special Superbowl dessert too?
Make sure you head over to Aldi to buy all the stuff- it makes entertaining so much more doable! You can read all about my time at the Aldi test kitchen here (they made a believer out of me!), and like their Facebook page here.
Have a great weekend!
This is a sponsored post, written by me, in partnership with Aldi Stores. All opinions expressed herein are straight from my heart.