Coffee Macarons with Nutella Filling
Delicate French macaron shells are infused with rich coffee and filled with creamy chocolate hazelnut Nutella spread. (Naturally gluten-free.)
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by the makers of Nutella via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nutella.
My regular readers probably already know that I’m away on a little mini-vacation this week. I made these little treats last week, took all the photos, and uploaded them to my server so that I’d have everything at hand to complete the post from down the shore.
Little did I know, at the time, how appropriate they’d end up to be!
It’s drizzly and gloomy today. That hasn’t stopped my boys from wanting to spend the afternoon on the beach, but I did it yesterday, and I’m not so jazzed over the idea of spending another day feeling shivery, clammy, and gritty. So I’m sitting at a coffee shop with the computer on my lap, writing to you guys about my latest kitchen creation.
Don’t these photos just put you in mind of a rainy day? I love that. I actually really love rainy days, and especially when I can spend them curled up in a cozy quiet place like this.
They’re playing Jason Mraz. I love this song. In fact, I love coffee shop music, in general. I love how it’s quiet and relaxing, yet upbeat at the same time.
I hope you’ll give some of these tunes a listen. They’re guaranteed to make you feel peaceful and happy.
And I hope you’ll give this flavor combo a try. It’s seriously outta this world!
A tablespoon of instant espresso granules go into the ground almond mixture, tempering the sweetness of the shells with a slightly bitter, toasty richness. The chocolatey Nutella spread is the ultimate compliment. And it’s so simple- just scoop it straight from the jar and spread the happy.
These are without a doubt the best tasting macarons I’ve made to date.
And with that, I’m going to sign off for the week! Again, I’m traveling all week, and while I was hoping I could get a post together for you for Friday, unfortunately (due to some other deadlines) I was not able to make it happen. So- you get a nice long break from me, lol! I’ll be back on Tuesday with another great coffee treat for Mystery Dish. Hope you all enjoy the rest of this lovely week!
Nutella® hazelnut spread is a happy start to every day! Pick up a jar of Nutella in the spreads aisle and enjoy it with whole wheat toast, waffles, pancakes, strawberries, bananas and many other foods. Nutella. Spread the Happy™.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coffee Macarons with Nutella Filling
- Measure the almond flour, powdered sugar, and espresso powder into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the mixture to a fine powder, and sift. Re-process any large bits that remain, and sift again. Discard any large bits that still remain.
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium speed until frothy. Slowly add the granulated sugar (about a teaspoon at a time), while continuing to whip.
- Once all the sugar has been incorporated, turn the speed up to high and whip until the meringue looks glossy and holds stiff peaks.
- Dump all the almond flour mixture into the meringue at once. Fold together until the batter falls from the spoon in one long, continuous ribbon.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip, and pipe rounds about 1 inch in diameter onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Slam the baking sheet on the counter to force out any large air bubbles, and allow to dry for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 15-16 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheet, then peel off and sandwich with Nutella.