Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe
Make this homemade graham crackers recipe for your family- a perfect afternoon snack, and they taste way better than the boxed kind!
When I was a kid, I used to love snacking on graham crackers. I guess that’s not too unusual, right? I used to spread them with peanut butter, and sprinkle raisins on top. SO GOOD with a tall glass of cold milk.
We used to just have the boxed kind in our cupboard, and that’s pretty much all I ever had for my kids too, until recently. I had never really thought much about making my own homemade graham crackers from scratch.
But now that I’ve tried it, I don’t think I will ever go back! They were easy and fun to make, and the taste was incredible.
So tender-crisp, with a buttery backnote, and plenty of whole-grain-y texture. The honey and brown sugar flavor really comes through too!
You can make these as plain honey grahams, or add cinnamon sugar! Just stir about 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar together with 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and sprinkle over the tops of the graham crackers before they go into the oven.
Just a couple of quick tips, for your best homemade graham cracker baking experience:
- You may notice that this recipe gives a range for the amount of flour. I used the full 1 3/4 cups when I made this batch, but I have a powerful stand mixer that really helps to incorporate all the dry ingredients into this stiff dough. You may be able to get away with less flour. But please keep in mind that the dough should be very stiff. This will make it much easier to roll out and cut into shapes. If it’s too sticky, you’re likely to have some difficulty. If your mixer isn’t powerful enough to get the dough very stiff, try kneading in the last bit of flour with your hands.
- For perfectly thin and even dough, try using rolling pin rings! These things are a godsend. You can choose exactly how thick or thin you want your dough to be, and each and every one will be consistent.
- I used the 2 1/2-inch cutter from this set to cut my graham crackers, and the fat end of this kind of skewer to poke the holes.
And PS- these are SO BOMB for s’mores!!
More great cookie recipes on my “Cookie Recipes Galore” Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe
- 10 tablespoons (147.87 g) unsalted butter,, softened
- 1/3 cup (73.33 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (113 g) honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) graham flour
- 1/4 cup (32 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups (156.25 g) all-purpose flour, (you may need up to to 1 3/4 cups)
- Place the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.*
- Cream together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the honey, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir together on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the graham flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until the dough gathers itself into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Between 2 sheets of parchment, roll the dough out to a thickness of about 3/16-inch.
- Use a 2 1/2-inch square cookie cutter to cut shapes, and transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Use the end of a bamboo skewer to make holes (this will keep air bubbles from forming under the graham crackers as they bake.)
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden.**