Homemade Moose Munch
This homemade moose munch tastes even better than the original! So light, crisp, & buttery, with tender nuts and a hint of chocolate.
Hey there! It’s December and right now I’m all about easy recipes that are perfect for gifting!
Every year at this time I tend to get really overwhelmed. The baking, the decorating, the shopping, all the parties, gifts… gosh it’s just so easy to completely lose yourself!
But this year I am determined to be present, and to enjoy every second of this magical time. My kids are still kids! And that won’t be the case for long, so I really want to make the most of this time and have them see just how fun and exciting Christmastime can be, even when you’re a grownup!
I’ve always loved making homemade gifts for my friends and family. There’s something so special about a present that you’ve made with your own two hands! It’s just so full of heart. Bonus points if it’s easy to make and as delicious as this homemade moose munch!
If you’re not already familiar with moose munch, it’s a snack mix made from butter toffee caramel popcorn with nuts and chocolate. So, so good!
But this version is even better, because it’s fresh from your kitchen! Freshly made treats are just so next level.
And this makes a big batch, so you can spend an hour or so on a weekend and have plenty to give away to all your friends and family. I like to package up a cup or two in a cello bag with a pretty ribbon and gift tag.
But I have to warn you: don’t taste it! If you do, you won’t be able to stop. This stuff is light, crisp, buttery, sweet, and completely addictive!
More great gift ideas on my “Homemade Gifts” Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
- 2 3-ounce bags microwave popcorn (lightly salted), popped
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F, and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place the popcorn in a large mixing bowl, along with the nuts.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring.
- When the caramel comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes (or until the temperature is registers about 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda (the mixture will foam up).
- Slowly drizzle the mixture over the popcorn, while stirring/tossing the popcorn to coat it with the hot caramel. (It might be easier if you have a kitchen helper. One can pour while the other stirs.)
- When the popcorn is well coated with caramel, spread it out in an even layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool completely, then drizzle with melted white chocolate and melted dark chocolate.
- Let the chocolate set, then break the moose munch into chunks and package up in mason jars, paper boxes, or cello bags for gifting.
Adapted slightly from Brown Sugar Mama's Butter Toffee Popcorn recipe.