Jalapeno Popper Dip
Searching for a great party appetizer? Look no further than this creamy, cheesy jalapeno popper dip. Served hot with a crispy, crunchy topping.
The football food extravaganza continues!
I’m trying my absolute best to squeeze in as many Superbowl recipes as I can before the big day this weekend! So far, we’ve got beer cheese, sweet potato fries, and those incredible peanut butter blondies from last week for dessert.
And today it’s all about jalapeno popper dip.
Have you ever had this before? I had never tried it until last year’s Superbowl. I went to a party and there it was, looking hot and cheesy and smelling amazing. I just had to give it a try.
Well, I’ll be darned if it wasn’t one of the best things I’d ever tasted! I just couldn’t stop eating it- it was so irresistible!
Creamy, hot, and just a teeny bit spicy on the bottom, with a crispy layer of toasted bread crumbs on top, it was just like a jalapeno popper, but better!
I knew from that moment that I would have to come up with my own jalapeno popper dip recipe for the next year’s football season.
And here it is!
WHAT IS JALAPENO POPPER DIP?
Have you ever had a jalapeno popper? It’s basically just a jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise and filled with cream cheese, and then coated in bread crumbs and fried.
Needless to say, they’re pretty amazing.
Well, jalapeno popper dip is a spin on the jalapeno popper, only in dip form. You take all the best elements of a popper, stir them together, get it hot and bubbly, then dip to your heart’s content!
This particular recipe contains everything above, along with a couple of big handfuls of sharp cheddar cheese and a perfect balance of seasonings that will keep your guests coming back for more.
You could also add crumbled bacon to the mix, for an extra-smokey & delish jalapeno popper dip with bacon! Score!
This is a really easy to make recipe that’s perfect for snacking on while watching tv.
HOW TO MAKE JALAPENO POPPER DIP
To make this easy party appetizer recipe, start by placing softened cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream in a big bowl.
Mix these together until nice and smooth. You don’t have to use an electric mixer, but if you do, it really gets things velvety as can be.
Next, add the cheese.
- Monterey Jack
- Pepper Jack
Add in the diced green chiles, minced fresh jalapeno, salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika too.
You can leave out the smoked paprika if you like, but I really love the flavor it adds.
Fold everything together until well-blended.
Then transfer it into an oven-safe dish.
Stir panko breadcrumbs (they’re the most crunchiest kind) and parmesan cheese together with melted butter. A fork works really well for this.
Layer this over the dip, and pop everything into the oven until hot and toasty on top!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT
My favorite dipper for this is corn tortilla chips, but there are all kinds of yummy things that would go great with this dip!
- Soft Pretzels
- Hard Pretzels
- Tortilla Chips (Flour)
- Potato Chips
- Pita Chips
- Raw Veggies
I also think this would be killer with an icy cold margarita!
CAN THIS BE MADE AHEAD?
You can definitely make this dip ahead if you’re trying to get your party prep out of the way early.
Just keep the creamy dip separate from the crunchy breadcrumbs until just before you plan to put it in the oven. The 2 components can keep in the fridge for several days, or in the freezer for a few weeks. Thaw it at room temperature, layer the crunchy over the creamy, then into the oven it goes!
It’s also great kept warm in the crock pot. After you’ve mixed the ingredients for the dip, transfer them to your slow cooker’s insert. Top with the breadcrumb mixture, and toast in the oven as directed in the recipe card below.
Then just slip it into the crockpot and keep it hot on the lowest setting.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
If you have any leftovers, they should keep in the fridge for a few days at least. Or in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Just thaw it in the fridge or at room temp and then re-warm in a 170 degree (F) oven until heated through.
A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE PARTY APPETIZERS:
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) cream cheese,, softened
- 1/2 cup (112 g) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (57.5 g) sour cream
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded cheddar cheese*
- 4 ounces (113.4 g) diced green chiles
- 1 (14 g) jalapeno pepper,, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 g) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 g) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.46 g) smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup (30 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (25 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons (44.36 g) butter,, melted
- 1 tablespoon (14.79 g) chopped fresh herbs, , such as chives, parsley, or cilantro (optional garnish)
- 2 slices (1 g) fresh jalapeno, (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a large mixing bowl, and mix together until smooth.
- Add the shredded cheddar, chiles, jalapeno, salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika, and fold in until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe serving dish.
- Place the panko bread crumbs, parmesan, and melted butter in a small bowl, and stir with a fork until combined.
- Layer the seasoned bread crumbs on top of the dip and bake until dip is warmed through and the topping is slightly browned and crunchy (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Garnish with fresh herbs and jalapeno slices, if desired.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.