Celebrate the Lunar New Year with this delicious matcha green tea panna cotta! You’ll love the earthy, grassy sweet flavor and it’s so simple to make!
Wow, it feels like ages since I’ve done this! Can you believe it’s been nearly 4 weeks since I’ve posted a new recipe? I know I’ve been pretty quiet lately, but behind the scenes I’ve been busy preparing lots of awesome things to come.
But I just could not let the lunar new year pass without a respectful (and delicious) nod to the holiday!
When I think of Asian desserts, the first thing that comes to mind is green tea ice cream. When I’m at an Asian restaurant, it’s my favorite way to finish a fabulous meal. But today, I wanted to share something that requires a lot less prep work. Panna cotta is about the easiest dessert you can make, and this matcha green tea version will knock your socks off!
I pick up a little pouch of matcha at my local coffee shop. They weigh it out, and I pay per ounce. It’s usually only a few dollars, and a little goes a long way. It’s just green tea leaves that have been ground to a fine powder. The taste is unmistakably “tea,” with a hint of grassy-ness and a pleasantly bitter edge.
Panna cotta is pretty simple, even though the name sounds kind of foreign and fancy. Think of your favorite jell-o, only creamy. It’s jiggly and wiggly, but it melts in your mouth and has a milky, sweet, and rich texture that just can’t be beat. Green tea is the perfect earthy flavor to pair with a smooth, creamy panna cotta. It’s like a matcha latte, in dessert form!
All you have to do is add a little plain gelatin to your milk/cream mixture, then sweeten and stir in some matcha. Warm it on the stove until everything dissolves, and then portion it out into molds.
I have used 4-ounce mini-mason jars as molds. After the green tea panna cotta has set in the fridge, you can either turn them out of the molds onto a plate, or just spoon it right from the jar.
It’s a great way to celebrate the new year, plus it’s no-bake and gluten-free! Hope you enjoy!
Matcha Green Tea Panna Cotta
Celebrate the Lunar New Year with this delicious matcha green tea panna cotta! You'll love the earthy, grassy sweet flavor and it's so simple to make!
- 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet plain gelatin
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha green tea
- Mist four 4-ounce ramekins, molds, or mason jars with non-stick spray.
- Place the milk and cream in a large liquid measuring cup, and sprinkle the gelatin powder over the surface in an even layer. Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the gelatin has softened.
- In a small pot, whisk the sugar and matcha powder together. Slowly pour in the milk/cream mixture, while whisking. Place the pot over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until just barely simmering. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, whisking occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the matcha and gelatin are completely dissolved.
- Pour the liquid into the prepared molds, and refrigerate for two hours or until set. Panna cotta can be served in the vessels, or unmolded.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 446kcal Calories from fat 337|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 37g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 22g||110%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Love cool, creamy, spoonable desserts? Make sure you’re following my “Ice Creams, Mousses, Custards & Puddings” board on Pinterest!