Nutella® Frosted Brown Butter Banana Whole Wheat Baked Donuts
Whole wheat donuts are a delicious way to spread the happy, especially when they’re frosted with chocolate-y hazelnut Nutella® spread! These baked donuts are infused with toasty brown butter and sweet banana, and the whole wheat imparts a great nutty texture.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by the makers of Nutella via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nutella.
Long before I ever became a mom, I had decided that these shopping carts would NOT be happening in my life.
Image Source | And PS read the post it’s pretty hilarious!
They are heavy to push, impossible to steer, and ain’t nobody got time for toddlers hopping in and out of the cart when there’s shopping to do!
I take my shopping very seriously 😉 I like to get in a good groove, and when I do, it’s a moment of happy for me.
But I need to concentrate. And I need to get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible. No messing around. No chitchat. No hopping out of the cart to look at every little passing thing that catches a kid’s eye.
I do my best to schedule all shopping trips for times when either: a) the kiddos are at school, or b) my husband is home and he can mind them while I’m out.
But what can I say? Life happens, and it doesn’t always work out for you to do what you want to do, when you want to do it.
However, I am proud to say that for the most part, I have been successful in avoiding the car cart. There have been PLENTY of promises I made to myself in my pre-mommy years that have been broken to smithereens, but I have managed to honor this one. Reason being, I have a secret weapon.
Sit your child in the seat, the one that’s right in front of you. This way he’s contained. You can talk to him easily, look where he wants you to look, and even sneak in some hugs and kisses while you’re pushing from aisle to aisle. Buckle him in tight. You don’t want him standing up or trying to climb out.
And for the ultimate stress-free, efficient grocery shopping experience, invest in a donut.
It’s really that simple. When you get to the store, strap that child in a seat and head straight for the bakery department. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. DONUT.
You’ll put a huge grin on that sweet face, and enjoy a peaceful shop to boot. My little guy barely makes a peep when he’s got a chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles that needs his attention.
This strategy has proved so successful that he often wants a trip to the grocery store just for the donut. No worries! I can whip up a batch of Nutella® glazed brown butter banana whole wheat baked donuts in mere minutes, and spread the happy right from the comfort of my own kitchen. Homemade is always better anyway, right?
The baked donut is soft, and infused with the loveliest toasty notes from the brown butter. The whole wheat flour imparts a nice nuttiness, and the banana is such a great compliment to the chocolate-y hazelnut Nutella® topping.
Just smooth on a tablespoon or so, to top each donut. And don’t forget the rainbow sprinkles!
As a mom, there’s nothing that makes me happier than seeing my kids smile. When their eyes shine, and those faces light up, my heart swells. I’m talking warm fuzzies all over the place! Handing them a delicious homemade treat is a great way to spread that happiness all around.
Nutella® hazelnut spread is a happy start to every day! Pick up a jar of Nutella in the spreads aisle and enjoy it with whole wheat toast, waffles, pancakes, strawberries, bananas and many other foods. Nutella. Spread the Happy™.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutella® Glazed Brown Butter Banana Whole Wheat Baked Donuts
- 5 tablespoons (73.93 g) unsalted butter
- 1 banana,, very ripe
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt, (I used non-fat)
- 1 egg, (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (110 g) brown sugar, (loosely packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (150 g) Nutella® spread, (approx.)
- rainbow sprinkles,, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly mist a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter in a small pot or skillet over medium high heat, and cook until it turns a nutty brown color. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the banana, Greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla in a mini-chopper, food processor, or blender, and puree.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, cake flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the brown butter and half the banana mixture, and stir on low speed for about a minute.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, and add the remaining banana mixture. Stir for a minute more, or until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pipe or spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely, then spread about a tablespoon of Nutella® on each donut. Sprinkle with rainbow jimmies and serve.