Peanut Butter Tagalong Cupcakes
These cupcakes will make you swoon! Moist and fluffy vanilla cake with a tagalong baked right in, topped with peanut butter cookie buttercream frosting and dipped in chocolate. You’ll be in Girl Scout cookie heaven!
Hey everybody! How was your Valentine’s Day weekend? I hope it was fun and romantic and full of CHOCOLATE!!!
I feel like it’s been foreverrrrr since we last talked! I haven’t posted since Tuesday. As many of you know, I usually post on Tuesdays and Fridays, and last week I did Monday because I had created those Coconut White Chocolate Panna Cotta with Blood Oranges for that special Dinner for Two event. I wanted to do Friday too, and I had a really fun roundup post half-written, but then I got word that the web-hosting switch I had in the works was happening on Thursday night. So, I had to hold off on putting the finishing touches on the post until the transfer was complete. 🙁
Anyway that’s boring! The only reason I wanted to mention it is because if you left me a comment during those couple of hours where files were getting shuffled around, then your comment might have fallen through the cracks and been missed. So sorry if that happened to you!
Hopefully you’ll forgive me when you see these cupcakes!
Girl Scout Cookie Cupcakes! I wanted to capture the flavors of the Peanut Butter Tagalong, which is a crunchy vanilla shortbread cookie, topped with a puddle of peanut butter and coated in chocolate (I know!). Actually I think they changed the name recently to Peanut Butter Patties, but either way they’re pretty rockin’!
So, it all starts with my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe (so moist! and easy! just one bowl!), but before the batter goes into the papers, you’re going to drop in a Tagalong/Peanut Butter Patty.
Then just bake them up as you normally would, and top them with this dreamy peanut butter Swiss meringue buttercream. (Check out this Swiss meringue buttercream post for TONS more info.) I added chopped Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties to the frosting for added crunchy texture and cookie flavor. If you do this too, just know that you will only be able to pipe the frosting with a jumbo round tip. The open star tips are still not open enough to allow the cookie bits to pass through without clogging up.
A dip in melted chocolate gives them such a great Tagalong look and amazing flavor too! These are NOT yo’ momma’s hi-hat cupcakes!
I know I say this a lot, but these cupcakes were truly one of the best things I’ve made in a while. The crunch of the cookie, at the bottom of that moist cake and mixed into that silky, sweet/salty buttercream… oh, it was outrageous! And the dip in melted chocolate just takes them completely over the top. You’ve really gotta try this recipe!!
Special thanks go out to my friend Kellie of The Suburban Soapbox. I didn’t know if it was too late, or where I could find Girl Scout Cookies when this idea creeped into my brain, but she heeded the call and dropped off a couple boxes for me! Thanks girl!
You guys should definitely check out Kellie’s blog if you are looking for some great recipe ideas. Her Easy Lobster Bisque left my jaw on the floor, but she’s got sooo many other delicious ideas too!
Caramel Crunch Banana Oat Muffins / Easy Lobster Bisque / 10-Minute Samoa Cannoli
Follow The Suburban Soapbox:
Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Instagram / Google+
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Peanut Butter Tagalong Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup (125 g) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter, (1 stick), softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 g) Greek yogurt, (sour cream can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup (61 ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 18 Peanut Butter Tagalongs/Patties
For the Frosting
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened slightly but still cool
- 1 cup (258 g) creamy peanut butter
- 6 Peanut Butter Tagalongs/Patties,, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 6 ounces (170.1 g) milk chocolate,, melted
- 9 Peanut Butter Tagalongs/Patties, cut in half (for garnish)
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- Place the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and mix on low speed to combine.
- Add the butter, stirring on low speed until the mixture resembles damp sand (about a minute).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to be sure all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add the yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste. Stir until fully combined.
- Place a Peanut Butter Tagalong/Patty in each cupcake paper. Fill the papers half full with batter, and bake for 15 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool completely before frosting and dipping in melted chocolate.
To Make the Frosting:
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl, and set over a pot of simmering water.
- Cook, whisking continuously, until the mixture is hot, opaque, and the sugar is completely dissolved (it should not feel gritty between your fingers), about 5 minutes.
- Whip the mixture on high speed, until stiff peaks form and it has completely cooled. (There should be no hint of warmth remaining when you place your hand on the side of the mixing bowl. Place the bowl and whip attachment in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes, if needed.)
- Add the butter, a tablespoon at a time, whipping well after each addition. (If it begins to look curdled, continue to beat until it comes back together, before adding the remaining butter.)
- Stir in the peanut butter and chopped cookies, and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Turn the frosted cupcakes upside-down into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess to drip away before inverting and allowing to harden.
- Top with half a Peanut Butter Tagalong/Patty, for garnish.
Allie, you’re forgiven. J/K 🙂 You’re so sweet and these cupcakes stole my heart. And you know how much I adore chocolates, right?
Yes I do! And how could you not… Thank you so much Linda!
Love the animated video and these cupcakes look scrumptious!
Thanks Chineka! Hope you’re doing well sweetie and keeping warm!
These cupcakes are totally making me swoon! The Tagalongs are my next favorite thing to the Samoas!
Ugh, I know! The Samoas are sooo good too! Thanks Julie!
Allie I am drooling over these cupcakes!! Peanut butter and chocolate anything is the best to begin with and these just look so perfectly decadent!
Aw, thank you so much Ashley!!
These are downright sinful! They look amazing. My husband would love these. Now I need to track down a Girl Scout!
Yes! Track one down asap Black Heart Betty! You won’t regret it. Thanks so much for reading! 🙂
These look totally amazing. There is no better combo than chocolate and peanut butter!
I couldn’t agree more- chocolate and peanut butter is the best ever! Thank you Ashley!
OMG. I CAN’T EVEN! I’m with Kelly. These are officially my new favorite cupcake! Pinned!
Haha! Thank you so much Justine!
These are my new favorite cupcakes! I love that you stuffed real tagalongs inside, they look perfect! <3<3
Thank you Kelly! Tagalongs are my number one favorite Girl Scout Cookie! 🙂
oh my gawd, Allie!!! I LOVE these!!!! WOW!!
Thank you Alice! xoxo
You are right, I’m swooning!!! I need these cupcakes in my life!
Haha thanks Amanda! I think I need to bake another batch!
I have no idea what a Tagalong is. But really, it’s irrelevant. I LOVE the look of these. I could shove an entire one in my mouth right now. Well, try to. Most would end up around it of course. However, it wouldn’t stop me from trying. I love your photos Allie! You really have a knack for showing off your food! 🙂
Thanks Nagi! And girl I’ve got to find a way to get you some Tagalongs! 🙂
Oh I cannot wait to get my hands on some tagalongs!
I know- aren’t they the BEST??? The only problem is there never seems to be enough in a box 😛
Wow! These cupcakes look and sound AMAZING! Tagalongs are by far, my favorite Girl Scout cookie I could eat an entire box of them. Gorgeous photos too!
Same here, and I could too! Thank you so much Kathleen!
Oh my what a perfect peanut butter treat. I could eat 1 or 3 right now at 7:30am 🙂
I may or may not have done just that yesterday morning 😉 Thank you Janette!
What a fabulous idea to bake the cookies right in! These look downright delicious! I seriously can’t wait until my cookies come in so I can start making something delicious with them, not that they aren’t already delicious!
I know, it’s such a tough call, to eat them as is or to bake them into something. I say just buy double what you really need so that way you can do both 😉 Thanks so much Rebecca!
I am smitten, Allie! These cupcakes are perfect in every way. Tagalongs are my favorite cookie. I would gobble up every last one!
Same here Jen! Thin Mints used to have my heart but now I only have eyes for Tagalongs. They are so good!
I love Tagalongs (actually I love pretty much anything with chocolate and peanut butter), and these look delicious. I love how you actually put chunks of the cookie into the frosting. YUM!
The cookie bits in the frosting totally made the whole recipe! That was my favorite thing. Thank you so much Aida!
Oh everything I make I say “this is the best thing ever”. I suppose I should stop writing that in blog posts. Ha ha. I guess it’s a food blogger problem. Tagalongs are my favorite Girl Scout Cookie, so I’m loving these cupcakes. They are gorgeous, Allie!
Thank you so much Liz! I know these recipes are like our babies, right? They’re all favorites! Hahah…
So these cupcakes have me wondering if my husband is ever going to bring home the Girl Scout Cookies that he ordered of if it’s just going to be empty boxes!! I’m probably better off finding someone selling them outside the grocery! HA! Great post and please send me a cupcake! 🙂
Haha! Definitely get them at the grocery store Tiffany! There aren’t that many in the box so it’s waaaaay too easy to finish them off in one sitting 😉
Oh my gosh, Allie these cupcakes are so ridiculous in the best way possible! Tagalongs are my favorite and I love how you decorated these. They’re perfect! 🙂
Yay! Thank you so much Beth! Tagalongs are totally my favorite too. How could they not be??? Nothing beats PB + chocolate 😉