Pomegranate Orange Puffy Pancake
Start your weekend off right with this pomegranate orange puffy pancake! Dotted with tangy, seasonal pomegranate and infused with bright citrus.
Rise and shine! It’s almost the weekend and I can’t think of a better way to kick it off than with this pomegranate orange puffy pancake.
This recipe was slightly adapted from the blackberry orange puffy pancake in Katie Sullivan Morford’s latest book, “Rise and Shine: Better Breakfasts for Busy Mornings.” Katie was kind enough to send me a copy of her gorgeous book, after we met in Washington on this trip.
What can I say? The book is every bit as lovely and endearing as Katie herself. Every recipe is more mouthwatering than the last. It inspired me to get into my kitchen and whip up some of her balanced, nutritious, and utterly delicious breakfast ideas. Katie had me drooling over her milk and honey latte, sweet egg crepe with cherry jam and creme fraiche, dark chocolate meusli, and strawberry waffle sandwich.
But this pomegranate orange puffy pancake called out to me. I have never made a puffy pancake before! Now that I’ve done it once, I’m sure puffy pancakes will become a weekend tradition at our house. It smelled so good as it baked! And it was way easier to make than regular pancakes. We make pancakes a lot, my kids love them, but it does tend to be kind of involved. Lots of standing over the stove, right? Not with this. Just whip up the batter, pour it into a hot skillet, and let the oven do the rest.
Katie’s original recipe called for blackberries, but since it’s November and I live in the Northeast, I chose to sub in pomegranates. The taste is not far off from blackberries, juicy and tart, but they’re more seasonal and readily available at this time of year. Plus, they pair up beautifully with orange!
Add this pomegranate orange puffy pancake to your weekend morning tradition! And be sure to grab a copy of Rise and Shine!
More great breakfast ideas on my “Breakfast/Brunch Recipes” Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Pomegranate Orange Puffy Pancake
- 2 tablespoons (29.57 g) salted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup (244 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (0.02 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, (from half an orange)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest , (from half an orange)
- 3/4 cup (123 g) pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar,, for garnish
- Put the butter on top of the parchment and place the pan in the hot oven to melt the butter.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat on high speed until pale yellow and a little foamy (about 1 minute).
- Add the flour, milk, maple syrup, orange zest, and orange juice. Beat for 30 seconds, scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula as needed.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven and swirl to coat the parchment with butter.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and scatter 1/2 cup of the pomegranate arils evenly over the surface.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pancake puffs, is golden brown and is just firm to the touch in the center.
- Garnish with remaining pomegranate seeds and dust with powdered sugar.