Coconut Ice Cream, Accented with Ginger, Lime, and Grilled Pineapple, is Sandwiched Between Two Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies, for a Tropical Thai Inspired Treat that will Tickle Your Tastebuds! These Ice Cream Sandwiches are so Refreshingly Summery, and Gluten and Dairy Free to Boot!
Hey guys! I meant to get this post up right on the tail of the last one, my Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies…
…but we’ve been travelling this July 4th holiday weekend! Again! Summers tend to be a little crazy around my household, lol! My brother- and sister-in-law just bought their first house, and it’s in the breathtakingly beautiful Hudson River Valley. Sigh! It’s so pretty here, and there are so many charming little shops and restaurants. Yesterday we strolled around Rhinebeck, then hopped the bridge over to Saugerties for their First Friday celebration, and tonight we’re checking out Mercato in Red Hook. (Got the kiddos a babysitter, woot!) Can’t wait to taste!
So, you’ll have to forgive me for the time lapse between posts!
I promised you something really unique and inventive to tease your tastebuds, and I really think this fits the bill! I’ve been knocking this idea around in my head for some time, trying to hit on the perfect vehicle for this flavor combo, and I just loved how this came out!
Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of flaked coconut, shredded coconut, or toasted coconut. But have you ever tasted coconut milk? Omg, sooooooo divine! It’s got a very subtle sweetness, just a hint of tropically aroma, and the most incrediblyyyyy creamy texture. You CANNOT believe it’s dairy free. I absolutely adore it, and I really wanted to capture all of it’s best qualities in an ice cream.
Since I was going for a tropical flavor, I decided to bump it up with a little lime, ginger, and grilled pineapple. Paired with those chewy Peanut Butter Cookies from my last post, it’s like your favorite Thai curry in dessert form!
You’re gonna love how that tart lime and juicy pineapple pop against the earthy richness of peanut butter! So refreshing on a warm summer day!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- juice of half a lime (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- (2) 13.5 ounce cans [url href=”http://astore.amazon.com/yinmomyangmom-20/detail/B003VYIZT0″ target=”_blank”]coconut milk[/url]
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, grilled (optional), and roughly chopped
- 20 [url href=”http://bakingamoment.com/peanut-butter-cookies/” target=”_blank”]peanut butter cookies[/url]
- In a medium pot, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, ginger, and lime juice together.
- Stir in the coconut milk until combined.
- Heat over a medium flame, stirring continuously, until thickened. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain into a heat safe bowl and chill until completely cooled.
- Churn the custard in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Layer the semi-frozen ice cream (in a freezer safe container), alternating with grilled pineapple, and freeze solid.
- Sandwich a scoop of ice cream between two peanut butter cookies, and serve.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker machine, check out this article. It offers 6 ways to make ice cream without a machine! I haven’t tried any of these methods, but one of them’s bound to work, right??? If you try, drop us a line in the comments, k?
Somehow, this post is my third in a row that is gluten free. And it’s also dairy free. I’m lucky enough not to have gluten or dairy sensitivities, and I’m not actively seeking to post allergen free dessert recipes. This is just a happy accident. That also happens to be incredibly delicious!