Chocolate Mug Cake
Craving a sweet treat? This easy chocolate mug cake is made with ingredients you probably already have. Bakes up perfectly in the microwave!
Have you ever found yourself with a powerful chocolate craving but not a lot of time to make something? Well, today I’ve got the perfect solution: chocolate mug cake!
I crave chocolate pretty much every day, and I’ve got plenty of chocolate recipes here to prove it! Just take a look at my chocolate banana bread, flourless chocolate cake, and brownies from scratch recipes and you’ll see what I mean. They’re all A++ and for serious chocolate lovers only!
But sometimes I’m just too laaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyy!
Chocolate mug cake to the rescue. This is so easy to make, it literally takes less than 5 minutes. And I bet you already have all the ingredients on hand!
WHAT IS CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE?
This recipe is exactly what it sounds like: chocolate cake baked in a mug.
You’ll need a 12-ounce mug to make this recipe and it yields one perfect serving.
It bakes up in the microwave in just about a minute, and it has a deep, dark, rich chocolate flavor and the most wonderful texture. The top and sides are fluffy and soft, and the middle is super moist, almost like pudding.
It’s exactly what you need to satisfy your sweet tooth!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
To make this chocolate mug cake recipe, start by lightly misting the inside of your mug with non-stick spray.
If you aren’t sure if you have the right size mug, just fill it to the rim with water and then pour the water into a liquid measuring cup. It should come at least up to the 12-ounce mark.
Next, drop in a hunk of butter. Place a paper towel on top, and microwave it in 30-second intervals, until the butter is melted.
- cocoa powder (either natural or Dutched is fine, just make sure it’s unsweetened!)
- baking powder
Start stirring everything together. It will seem really dry at first, but that’s ok because you’re going to moisten it all up with a little bit of milk.
Stir in the milk in 2 separate additions, adding the vanilla extract as well.
Once the batter is nice and smooth, sprinkle the top with chocolate chips. I like to use mini chocolate chips, but any size will work. If you like, use the spoon to “bury” a few of them down deeper into the mug, so you get melty chocolate in every bite!
Then pop that paper towel back on and microwave until the edges look springy and set but the middle is still very moist.
Every microwave is different, but in mine this takes anywhere from 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds.
It’s ok if it still looks a little wet towards the center when you take it out. It will continue to set up as it cools. And besides, chocolate cake in a mug is meant to be a little gooey 😉
You may notice this recipe does not call for any eggs. That’s not a misprint!
For a quantity this small, it’s really not necessary. The cake bakes up just perfectly without any egg, and that just makes this even better for those with dietary restrictions.
If you have an egg allergy, this is the recipe for you!
For gluten-free chocolate mug cake, look for a gluten-free flour blend that subs 1:1 for regular flour.
If you’d like to make this dairy-free and vegan, use dairy-free butter and milk products that sub 1:1 for regular dairy. And don’t forget to get dairy-free chocolate chips!
HOW TO SERVE
This cake is just heavenly served warm from the microwave. It’s moist and a little gooey and so, so chocolate-y. Let it cool for just a minute or so, so you don’t scorch your mouth, and then dig in.
HOW TO STORE
If you have any leftovers, cover them tightly with plastic wrap so they don’t get dried out or stale. They’ll keep for a day or so at room temp, or for several days in the fridge.
Rewarm for 10 seconds or so in the microwave, and enjoy!
A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE EASY DESSERT RECIPES:
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (30 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, (natural or Dutch-processed)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75 g) kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (61 g) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (14.79 g) chocolate chips
- Lightly mist the inside of a 12-ounce microwave safe mug with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter in the mug and microwave (covered) in 30-second increments until melted.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to the mug and stir to combine (mixture will be very dry at first).
- Stir in half the milk, until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining milk and the vanilla extract, then top with chocolate chips.
- Microwave (covered) until fluffy and set around the edges and still very moist in the center (approx. 50 to 75 seconds).
- Let cool for 1 minute before serving.