Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream
Coffee and donuts is a classic combination, and now you can enjoy it in ice cream form!
My ice cream making streak continues! And this one may be my favorite yet.
Coffee and donuts. There is a reason that combination is so beloved. It just works. The roasty, rich, and slightly bitter notes from the coffee are a perfect foil for those pillowy, sugary sweet donuts. They compliment each other so well!
If I had my way, that’d be my breakfast every day. But, let’s be honest. donuts are probably more suited to dessert.
This ice cream, you guys! It’s my latest obsession. Honestly, I’m not sure I can wait until dessert to have it. It may or may not end up being tomorrow’s breakfast. Don’t judge.
There is something about the way the creamy coffee ice cream melts and soaks in a little bit to the soft bits of yeasty donut. It’s the most incredible sensory experience- creamy and cold, bitter and sweet, smooth and light.
I used store-bought glazed donuts, but any kind will do! Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country the store-bought donuts are incredible.
But if you don’t have easy access to good ones, I highly recommend this recipe (just leave out the Biscoff. Or not!).
Or if that’s a little too labor-intensive, this one would be seriously amazing too.
Just chop them up into bitty bits and add them to the coffee ice cream after it’s churned.
The coffee ice cream!
It’s so creamy and rich, and it’s got an intense coffee flavor-punch. Instant espresso powder is the magic ingredient.
I don’t always have the easiest time getting it at my local supermarket, but it’s definitely worth seeking out. It dissolves beautifully and delivers lots of roasty-toasty coffee-ness, without adding any additional liquid to mess with the chemistry of your recipes. I love having a little jar of it in my baking cupboard, along with all my other flavorings and extracts!
If you’re looking for an incredible summer dessert, definitely give this coffee and donuts ice cream a try!
Enjoy the rest of your week!
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (366 ml) milk
- 2 cups (476 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1.5 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 2 donuts,, chopped into small pieces
- Freeze the canister of an ice cream maker overnight.
- Place the yolks, sugar, and salt in a medium heat-safe bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the milk, cream, and espresso powder in a medium pot and cook over medium-low heat until small bubbles appear around the edges and the liquid is steaming.
- In a thin, slow stream, pour the hot cream mixture into the yolk mixture while whisking.
- Transfer the custard back to the pot and cook on low heat (whisking) until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Chill the mixture overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place the chilled ice cream base in the prepared ice cream maker, and churn according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Layer the ice cream in a loaf pan, sprinkling in the donuts as you go along.
- Freeze until hard.
Oh my goodness! What an awesome idea!
Thanks so much Nicole! I really loved it and I can’t wait to make it again!
I really wanted to make a coffee and doughnut ice cream this summer, but I was afraid that the ice cream would do some not very tasty things to the doughnuts. I am glad to hear that it is in fact as tasty as I imagined it would be!!
Great minds, lol! I personally love dunking a donut in coffee so I really liked this 🙂 Thanks Amanda!
Hooray for PA Dutch country! I grew up there and every single Fasnacht Day I’m so sad to not be at home!
Yay!!! Fasnacht Day is one of the best days all year, lol! Thanks Rebeccah!
I love coffee ice cream, far more than I like drinking coffee itself, and you’ve only gone and made it EVEN BETTER by adding doughnuts! Sounds like a match made in heaven!
I do too Hannah! This ice cream was a dream come true for me, lol! I’m so happy you like it too- thanks for the awesome feedback 😀
Oh wow, my husband and I have been on a ice cream making frenzy lately and this is just gonna fuel that fire! Sounds and looks incredible – the flavor is so enticing and I’m not even that much of a coffee fan! Beautiful 🙂
That is so awesome! I’ve been on a bit of a frenzy myself lately- it’s basically all we really want to eat at this time of year. Hope you have a chance to try this one out Rachel! Thanks for the awesome feedback 🙂
Coffee and donuts were meant to be together! Currently sipping my cold brew sad that I don’t have a huge donut with me 🙂 This ice cream flavor is brilliant 🙂
A cold brew without a donut is like a day without sunshine. I’m sad for you! Thank you so much Medha!
oh my gawd, Allie!!! This is brilliant!!! the perfect combo: coffee and donuts!!!! and I love this ice cream!!! 🙂
Thank you so much Alice! It’s my new favorite ice cream, lol!