Indulge in this thick, rich European style hot chocolate. Only a few ingredients and mere seconds stand between you and the most luxurious treat you’ve ever warmed your palms around.
Have you guys ever heard of this? The hot chocolate in European countries like Spain and Belgium is NOTHING like hot chocolate as we know it, here in the States.
No no no.
When I think of American hot chocolate, I’m picturing a dusty powder, dumped from a foil packet into some hot water, with a few stingy little marshmallows floating around in the thin, sugary brown liquid.
The European-style hot chocolate I savored while in Spain was a complete epiphany. Thick, almost pudding-like, and exploding with intense chocolate flavor.
Guess what? It’s so super simple to make. It literally takes seconds. And once you’ve tried it, you’ll never be the same again. Say goodbye to those foil packets!
Click over to The Kitchenthusiast to get the recipe for this European-style hot chocolate, and a complete photographic tutorial with a super smart trick for how to whip up this indulgent treat in just moments.
European-style Hot Chocolate
Indulge in this thick, rich European-style hot chocolate. Only a few ingredients and mere seconds stand between you and this luxurious treat!
- 3 ounces milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups (16 ounces) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Feed the pieces of chocolate through the KitchenAid® Food Grinder and into a small pot.*
- Add the sugar and cornstarch, and toss to coat.
- Pour the milk into the pot and cook over medium heat until barely simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract, pour into cups or bowls, and serve.
*If you don’t have a food grinder, you can just chop the chocolate roughly or break it into small pieces.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 594kcal Calories from fat 295|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 33g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Get lots more awesome drink recipes when you check out my “Drinks” category!