Junk Food Brownies
Rich and fudgy dark chocolate brownies are topped with crunchy pretzels, potato chips, and peanuts, then drenched in buttery caramel, for a sweet/salty junk food treat that satisfies every craving!
Omg you guys. Have I got a treat for you today. Are you ready to indulge?
We are talking serious indulgence here. Am I speaking your language? I’m talking chocolate. Fudgy, dense, deep dark chocolate brownies. And pretzels. What goes better with chocolate than pretzels? Perhaps peanuts? Check. Oh yeah we’ve got that too. And if you like that sweet/salty balance then how about some kettle cooked potato chips. Anything potato is a hands-down win in my book. Drench it all in a rich buttery caramel. This dessert’s got it all.
No guilt because it’s football season and it’s what we do. It’s all about the junk food when Superbowl hits. I made these with that in mind. Calories don’t count on Superbowl Sunday. Duh.
So you may as well go for it because besides being over-the-top delicious, these whip up in a snap. The brownie base is the best you’ll ever try (pinky promise!) because not only is it gooey, fudgy, and deeply chocolate-y, it’s also made with just a handful of pantry staples and it all happens in just one bowl. And the topping is as easy as scattering on the crunchy goodness and drizzling with warm caramel.
If you’ve never made caramel before I urge you to try it. It’s a lot easier than you’d think, and the result is truly stellar. Trust me, this is one of the most popular recipes on my site, and for good reason!
So grab yourself a spot on the sofa and settle in with one of these babies in hand! Regardless of who you’re rooting for, it’s a definite win.
This post contains affiliate sales links.
Junk Food Brownies
- 1 batch Simply Perfect Brownies, (baked in a 9 by 13-inch pan)
- 3 ounces (85.05 g) thin pretzel sticks
- 3 ounces (85.05 g) kettle cooked potato chips
- 1/3 cup (48.67 g) roasted peanuts
- 1 cup (238 ml) heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons (73.93 g) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (85.25 ml) light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- Bake the brownies according to the recipe directions. Do not remove from the pan. Scatter the pretzels, chips, and peanuts in an even layer over the surface.
- In a small pot, heat the cream, butter, and salt on low until the butter is melted and the salt has completely dissolved. Allow to cool slightly, then add the vanilla.
- Place the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a larger pot. Cook on medium-high heat, gently swirling the pot occasionally, until a rich amber color. Pour in the cream mixture, and whisk together as it bubbles down. Continue to cook the caramel on medium heat, until the temperature measures 245 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Immediately transfer to a heat-safe vessel.
- When the caramel has stopped bubbling, drizzle it over the pretzels, chips, and peanuts in an even layer. Cool completely, then cut into bars.