Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are studded with Crunchy Toasted Pecans, drizzled with a sweet Brown Butter Bourbon Peach Syrup, and topped with creamy Honey Vanilla Greek Yogurt.
Pancakes! Or as my 5 year-old likes to say, “Pan-a-cakes.”
Can you believe I’ve never posted pancakes on the blog before??? That is just wrong. Especially considering they get made on a pretty regular basis around here.
It took Mystery Dish to finally make an official pancake post a reality.
The lovely Meriem of Culinary Couture was our host this month, and she started us all off with a fabulous list of ingredients to play with:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Beans
- Heavy Cream
- Coconut Milk/Cream
You know what I love about this dish? It’s peaches, which are summery, but the brown butter, toasted pecans, and bourbon are so cozy and warming they put me in mind of fall and winter. And since our summer produce doesn’t come in until a little later in the season here in the Northeast, I chose to go with frozen peaches. Which makes life so simple since they’re already peeled, de-pitted, and sliced. And it also means that you can enjoy this dish all year ’round.
Maple syrup, it’s over. No offense. It’s not you, it’s me. Actually, it’s not me either. It’s Brown Butter Bourbon Peach Syrup. When I started out I thought it was just going to be a one-time thing, but who am I kidding? There’s no going back now.
Oh my dear sweet Lord. It is heavenly! So buttery. The peaches give off a some of their sweet nectar plus there’s a little bit of dark brown sugar to bring out the caramel-y notes. I added just a hint of cinnamon too, and the bourbon just takes it to a whole different level.
The pancake recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens. I, like so many other new brides, received their cookbook as a gift when I got married. Their buttermilk pancake recipe is spot-on and I’ve probably made it hundreds of times. If you don’t keep buttermilk on hand, you can sour regular milk with a teaspoon or so of lemon juice or vinegar, or you can substitute equal parts plain yogurt (Greek or regular) and milk. It works great.
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- seeds scraped from one vanilla bean, or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract can be substituted in equal measure)
- ¼ cup (half a stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups frozen peach slices
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes above for info on substitutions)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or cooking oil
- 1 large egg
- Place the Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Allow it to melt, then foam and crackle, and finally to turn a nutty brown color (watch it carefully after it is no longer foamy- it can burn easily).
- Add the peach slices, dark brown sugar, bourbon, cinnamon, and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it becomes syrupy and the peaches are tender. Stir in the vanilla and set aside, keeping warm.
- Place the flour, pecans, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the buttermilk, butter or oil, and egg in a large liquid measure, and whisk to combine.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and grease it lightly with butter.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until just barely combined. Batter will be lumpy. Do not overmix or the pancakes could come out tough.
- Cook the pancakes in the prepared skillet, until golden on both sides. Top with Brown Butter Bourbon Peach Syrup and Honey Vanilla Greek Yogurt.
I added a little plain Greek yogurt mixed with honey and vanilla bean seeds for garnish! I highly recommend this. The combination of flavors is just outta this world. <—PS- did you see my Chobani giveaway? You should totally enter!
But first- check out what all my Mystery Dish peeps came up with!
2. Old Fashioned Corn Pudding by The Weary Chef
3. Raspberry Peach Cobbler with Oatmeal Pecan Crumble by Joyful Healthy Eats
4. Peach Raspberry Galette by Blahnik Baker
5. Pecan Crusted Chicken with Apple Cream Sauce by Yummy Healthy Easy
6. Sweet Corn Soup with Peaches by The Pajama Chef
7. Dutch Peach Pie Bars by I Dig Pinterest
8. Toasted Pecan Pancakes with Brown Butter Bourbon Peach Syrup by Baking A Moment
9. Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Butter Rum Pecan Glaze by The Well Floured Kitchen
10. Peach Pecan Cinnamon Roll Cake by Chez Catey Lou
11. Peach Frozen Yogurt with Pecan Graham Cracker Crumble by Culinary Couture
Pretty awesome right??? Thanks again, Meriem, for making all this deliciousness possible!
*This post contains affiliate links*