Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip– Best party app ever! Get your chicken wings in dip form. Creamy, cheesy, tangy, & a little spicy. Always a huge hit!
Original publish date: January 30, 2019.
It’s almost Superbowl people!
In the past I’ve always focused on game day desserts. Desserts only.
But this year I’ve decided to mix things up and throw in some of my favorite party dishes, even those that aren’t of the sweet persuasion!
But today, let’s go down the savory road, and talk about the best party dip of all time: Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Table of Contents
- What is buffalo chicken dip?
- Why this is the best buffalo chicken dip recipe
- What does it taste like?
- Special equipment
- How to make buffalo chicken dip
- How to serve
- Expert tips
- A few more of my favorite appetizer recipes
What is buffalo chicken dip?
If you’ve never had it before, you’re definitely missing out. It’s basically everything you love about buffalo wings, without the mess.
Creamy, cheesy, and tangy, with just a hint of spice, all of the components are there! Including chicken, blue cheese, and hot sauce.
It’s easy to make either in a crockpot or baked in the oven, and it can totally be made ahead. Your guests will love it; it’s always the hit of every party!
Why this is the best buffalo chicken dip recipe
- Tastes amazing: It’s creamy, meaty, cheesy, and tangy, with the perfect amount of heat.
- Few ingredients: You’ll only need a handful of basics to make it.
- Easy to make: It’s as simple as stirring everything together, topping with cheese, and warming through.
- Everybody loves it: This dip is always a big hit! What’s not to love about buffalo wings without the mess?
What does it taste like?
This dip has it all. It’s creamy and cheesy, with plenty of juicy chicken in every bite. There’s also that tangy, vinegary quality from the buffalo sauce. Unmistakable!
And you can make it as spicy or mild as you like. It’s all about the kind of sauce you use.
Cheese: We are going to use 3 kinds of cheese. Cream cheese forms the basis of the dip, blue cheese adds that unmistakable “buffalo” flavor, and shredded cheddar cheese gets melted on top for extra decadence!
Sour cream: Adds a cool, creamy quality and helps to achieve the perfect dippable consistency. Greek yogurt can be substituted!
Buffalo sauce: Make your own homemade buffalo sauce, or use store-bought if you’re in a time crunch.
Chicken: You can use the meat from a rotisserie chicken, or season and roast 2 chicken breasts on a foil-lined sheet pan for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. Place them in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, and stir on low speed for about 1 minute to shred.
Garlic powder: Adds a nice, savory flavor that really pulls everything together.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Follow my guide on how to accurately measure ingredients.
- Mixing bowl: In which to mix up the dip.
- Electric mixer: Or do it by hand for a good arm workout.
- Silicone spatula: For folding everything together, and to help get every last bit out of the bowl!
- Oven-safe dish: For baking and serving.
How to make buffalo chicken dip
You’re going to love how easy this recipe is.
Step 1: Make the creamy base
Just mix cream cheese, sour cream, and buffalo sauce together until smooth.
I used my electric mixer for this step, but you can totally do it by hand too. Just make sure your cream cheese is nice and soft, and you should have no problem.
Step 2: Fold in the add-ins
Next fold in the chicken, blue cheese, a little shredded cheddar, and garlic powder.
Step 4: Warm it through
In the oven: For a BAKED buffalo chicken dip, just transfer the mixture to a baking dish (a 9.5-inch diameter pie plate would be perfect), top it with a little more shredded cheddar, and pop it in the oven until hot and melty.
In a crockpot: For slow-cooker buffalo chicken dip, transfer the mixture to your crockpot and set it on low heat for 2 hours. Once it’s warmed through, sprinkle with cheese and let that melt before serving.
How to serve
I like to finish the dish with another sprinkling of blue cheese and some thinly sliced green onions. It makes it pretty, but it also really bumps up the flavor!
But my favorite would have to be thin, toasted slices of baguette. I just love how that really lets the buffalo wing flavor shine!
Soften the cream cheese: The dip will be much easier to mix if your cream cheese isn’t cold.
Use pre-cooked chicken: Feel free to use leftover chicken, canned chicken, or store-bought rotisserie chicken to speed up the process.
Make it your own: Add additional flavor by incorporating herbs, spices, or seasoning blends. Try adding ranch powder, fresh chives, dry mustard, or ground cumin to your dip. Or anything else you love!
Don’t get it too hot: When cheese gets too hot, the proteins seize up and squeeze out the fats. So you end up with a dip that’s separated. Try your best to keep it warm without getting it scalding hot.
One of the things I love most about this recipe is that it can be made ahead. Mix it up, cover it tightly, and it will last in the fridge for days. Easy-peasy.
Warm it up just before your guests arrive, and dig in!
This dip can definitely sit out at room temperature for a few hours, without any problem.
If you have any leftovers, they should stay good in the fridge for around a week.
You can definitely eat it cold if you like, but personally I like to warm it first.
To reheat, just microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring after each interval, until hot.
If it gets too hot too fast, you may notice it can look a little greasy. This is just because the fat in the cheese has separated out. It still tastes amazing, but I do find that reheating it slowly, and stirring frequently, keeps this to a minimum.
This recipe makes just over 5 cups total, and I’ve figured on a serving size of 1/2-cup as an appetizer.
The nutritional info provided in the recipe card below reflects a serving size of 1/10th the whole batch, and it does not include any kind of dipper. It’s just for the dip alone.
A few more of my favorite appetizer recipes
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (120 g) buffalo sauce
- 2 cups (280 g) cooked chicken,*, shredded
- 1/2 cup (67.5 g) blue cheese crumbles,, plus extra for garnish
- 3/4 cup (84.75 g) shredded cheddar cheese, , divided
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 (12 g) scallion, , thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and buffalo sauce in a large bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Add the chicken, blue cheese, about half the cheddar cheese, and the garlic powder. Fold together until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, top with remaining cheddar cheese, and bake for 20 minutes,** or until hot and melty.
- Garnish with blue cheese and sliced scallions, and serve with celery sticks and sliced French bread for dipping.