Soft Whole Wheat Bread
You won’t believe how easy it is to make homemade whole wheat bread! This recipe bakes up soft and is perfect for sandwiches.
Have you ever made homemade bread?
I have to say I find it one of the most rewarding things to do. It can be a labor of love, but there is something so satisfying about it. It’s guaranteed to make you feel super-proud of yourself!
And honestly the taste can’t be beat. So much better than store bought!
I have a handful of great bread recipes on this site, like these homemade crescent rolls, this cinnamon bread, and these soft overnight brioche buns, but the most versatile, every day recipe of all would have to be this soft whole wheat bread. In my family, it’s our go-to!
We love it because it’s so soft, pillow-y, and moist, with just a slight bit of nuttiness from the whole grains. It’s really a perfect everyday loaf!
IS WHOLE WHEAT BREAD HEALTHY?
Bread is carbs, there’s no way around that. Even when it’s 100% whole wheat!
But wheat bread is definitely a healthier alternative, because whole wheat flour has a lot more fiber and nutrition than the more processed white flours.
HOW TO MAKE SOFT WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
Making homemade bread can often seem a little intimidating, but I promise you, this recipe is so easy. It’ll have you making your own bread every week!
Start by dissolving your yeast in a little warm water. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
Once that’s looking kinda frothy, throw in the honey and butter. Then add just 2 cups of the flour.
Beat that in for about 3 minutes, then gradually add in more flour until you see the dough forming a ball. Once that ball of dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl cleanly, it’s time to knead.
You can knead this bread dough by hand, or let your mixer do the work for you. I kind of like kneading by hand. But sometimes I’m too busy and I just leave it in the mixer so I can do other things. Either way will work!
After about 10 minutes of kneading, you’ll see that the dough looks really smooth and elastic. Just mist your mixing bowl with non-stick spray, pop in the dough, mist the top of that too, cover with plastic wrap and allow it to proof (aka: rise).
About 30 to 45 minutes later, you’ll see that the dough has grown to almost double what it was before. Punch it down, form it into a loaf shape, cover, and let it rise a second time.
Bake the bread until it’s puffy, golden brown, and gives a hollow sound when tapped.
HOW TO SERVE 100% WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
Besides just eating it warm from the oven, this homemade bread can be enjoyed in so many ways.
It’s perfect for sandwiches, because of it’s soft, pillow-y texture.
And it toasts beautifully! I love to slather it with butter and give it a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar, or a swipe of jam. That plus a cup of hot, milky tea and I’m in heaven.
You could also use it as a base for your avocado toast!
If you find your leftovers are starting to get a bit dry, use them for French toast or bread pudding, or whiz them up in the food processor to make bread crumbs.
VEGAN WHEAT BREAD
To make a vegan version of this soft wheat bread, just sub out the butter for a vegan butter substitute. Look for one that swaps 1:1 for dairy butter.
And the honey can be replaced with an equal amount of brown sugar or agave nectar.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE WHEAT BREAD LAST?
Homemade bread doesn’t last quite as long as store bought, and that’s because it doesn’t have all those same preservatives to keep it shelf-stable.
Once this bread is completely cool, slip it into a plastic bag to keep it from drying out. Then keep in in the fridge. It should last for at least a week.
You can also freeze it! I’d recommend slicing it first, that way you can just grab a slice or two from the freezer whenever you need it. It thaws very quickly. At room temp it would probably only take a half hour or so, or pop it into the microwave for around 10 or 15 seconds.
Treat your family to a homemade loaf this week! It’s easy, fun, and so delish!
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases..
Soft Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) warm water
- 1/4 ounce (7.09 g) active dry yeast* , (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup (84.75 ml) honey
- 3 tablespoons (3 tablespoons ) unsalted butter,, softened
- 3 3/4 cups (450 g) whole wheat flour, (you may need as much as 4 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.
- Add the honey and butter.
- Blend in 2 cups of the flour and the salt until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in an additional 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups flour, until dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead on floured surface, adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup additional flour, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in large greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Lightly mist a 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a loaf.
- Place in prepared pan, cover loosely with greased plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Uncover dough, and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
Easy to follow recipe yielding beautiful results! This is so much like my moms wheat bread. I am revisiting my childhood good memories with each bite. Thank you
Best recipe 👍👍🤗I made this bread 3 times Allready 👍Never fails me 🤗🤗I used 3 cups whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup bread flour ..Thank you for posting 😋😋😋