Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Make this no-churn mint chocolate chip ice cream before the summer ends! It’s so easy, with no cooking involved and no ice cream maker needed.
I can’t believe summer is almost over! It always goes by way too fast.
My kids go back to school on Tuesday, and I’m so sad about it! It feels like we didn’t do enough fun things together, and I didn’t create enough ice cream recipes!
So today I’m making the most of what’s left by sharing this easy, no-churn mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Lately I’ve been really into making ice cream with the no-churn method. I was snobby about it for a long time, but once I finally gave it a try, there was no denying: it’s WAY easier to make and it tastes every bit as good.
But lately I’ve really been digging mint chocolate chip. It’s just so refreshing!
I love how airy and creamy this recipe comes out. And the mint flavor is so cool and bracing. Plus it’s got plenty of dark chocolate running all throughout. You definitely need to whip up a batch before the season passes you by!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
This is an easy recipe with no eggs, no cooking, and no ice cream maker required!
And it only has a handful of basic ingredients:
And if you’d like, you can add a drop of green food coloring.
Start by whipping the cream until it can hold stiff peaks.
Then, add in the sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract, green color (if using), and a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
Fold everything together until it’s well combined, and add the chocolate.
I like to use a bar of semi-sweet chocolate. When you chop it, you get all different sized pieces. There are little bitty crumbs that just melt on the tongue, and big, craggy shards you can crunch into. It’s so good this way!
But if you’re really pressed for time, you can use mini chocolate chips instead.
Once the chocolate has been folded in, transfer the mixture to a freezer-friendly container and pop it in the freezer.
It will take around 2 hours to fully freeze to a hard, scoop-able consistency.
IS THIS RECIPE GLUTEN-FREE?
This recipe is 100% gluten-free, so if you or a loved one has a sensitivity, you can serve this up without worrying for a second!
WHY IS MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM GREEN?
It really doesn’t need to be, but I guess ice cream manufacturers started doing it a long time ago, to signify the green mint leaves that flavor the ice cream.
Nowadays, we’re just so used to seeing it this way.
But if you don’t want to add the food coloring, you can totally leave it out. It will still taste just as delish!
VARIATIONS ON THIS RECIPE
Personally, my favorite way to eat this is just scooped into a bowl, with a little drizzle of hot fudge sauce on top.
- Substitute crushed Oreo cookies to make a mint chocolate cookie ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream base into an Oreo pie crust, then freeze for a mint chocolate chip ice cream pie.
- Add a few scoops into your blender, along with a splash of milk, to make a mint chocolate chip milkshake.
- Bake up a layer of chocolate cake, allow it to cool, then top it with the mint chocolate chip mixture before freezing. Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkles, and you’ve got yourself a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake!
- Sandwich a scoop between two dark chocolate brownie cookies, for a mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich you’ll never forget!
HOW LONG WILL THIS KEEP?
Cover your ice cream tightly, and it will last in the freezer for at least 2 weeks.
As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Place the cream in a large mixing bowl and whip on medium speed until it holds stiff peaks.
- Fold in the condensed milk, peppermint extract, salt, and icing color, if using.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate, transfer the mixture to a freezer-friendly container, and freeze until hard (about 2 hours).