The most Perfect Blueberry Muffin Recipe ever! These Muffins are Light and Moist, studded throughout with sweet Berries, and sprinkled with a Crunchy, Buttery Streusel Crumb Topping. They’re Quick and Simple to make, so whip up a batch for Breakfast or Brunch!
Don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post, for a fabulous #giveaway!
Wow. All I can say is, I really hope you guys like blueberry muffins, because an awful lotta love has gone into this post.
I think my family wants to kill me. I have been force-feeding them blueberry muffins for weeks. And my neighbors too.
This recipe has been tested, tasted, tweaked, and re-tested so many times I’ve completely lost count. But the good news is, I really, really, REALLY think I’ve nailed it.
This is the blueberry muffin of my dreams. It is tender. It is buttery-tasting. It is studded throughout with sweet berries. It is light-as-air, thoroughly encrusted with crumbly streusel, and, well- just look at it!
I hate to toot my own horn, but I mean, come on! Is that not one gorgeous blueberry muffin? How about the shape on that beauty? Is that not exactly what you’re imagining when that blueberry muffin craving hits?
Ok, let’s get into the nitty gritty here. Blueberry muffins. Muffins are a “quick bread,” which generally means that they rely upon chemical leaveners, rather than yeast, to give them “lift.” Therefore, they are quicker to make. Because you don’t have to knead them or wait hours for them to rise.
However, in my blueberry muffin journey, I also found that when they say quick bread, they also mean work fast. The minute those wet ingredients get combined with the dry, the leavening agents are already fired up. They are lifting, baby, so get ’em in the oven quick (!) to make the most of it while you still can.
This is how you get those gloriously puffy tops 😉
Also, I learned a thing or two about blueberries along the way, and I want to be sure and pass along my scientific findings. Since we are right on the cusp of berry season now, I’m sure you are all excited about the idea of picking up a few pints of fresh blueberries, and baking them into some tempting muffins. I hate to burst your berry bubble, friends, but don’t. Frozen blueberries are THE way to go.
And I’m not just talking any old frozen blueberry. I’m talking WILD blueberries. Don’t worry, they are easy enough to find at a regular supermarket, right in the frozen foods aisle. They truly make all the difference. They are sweeter, pack a bigger blueberry punch (without being at all tart), and smaller, which means you are going to get lots of little blueberries running all throughout your muffins. Using fresh blueberries will give you big, empty pockets of sometimes sour pulp, so I really do think it’s worth your while to go for the frozen wild blueberries.
And make sure they go into the muffin batter frozen solid; that way they’re less likely to bleed blue-green juice all throughout your pretty muffins 😉
Ok, I’m done being bossy now! On to the recipe- I really think you will enjoy! 😀 😀 😀
Simply Perfect Blueberry Muffins
The most Perfect Blueberry Muffin Recipe ever! These Muffins are Light and Moist, studded throughout with sweet Berries, and sprinkled with a Crunchy, Buttery Streusel Crumb Topping. They're Quick and Simple to make, so whip up a batch for Breakfast or Brunch!
Yield: 16 muffins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (half a stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups frozen wild blueberries
Make the Streusel Topping:
- Place the butter in a small microwavable bowl, and heat until melted (on my microwave this takes about 2 minutes on 50% power).
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the melted butter, and toss together with a fork. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly mist a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a large liquid measure, or a medium microwavable bowl, and heat until melted (on my microwave this takes about 1½ minutes on 50% power).
- Add the sugar, Greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla to the melted butter, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and stir together with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, just until ALMOST combined (you should still see streaks of flour).
- Add the frozen berries, and fold carefully. Overmixing will cause the berries to bleed and the muffins to be tough.
- Place about ¼ cup of batter in each well of the muffin tin, and top with the reserved streusel. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F (don't open the oven door), and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
With Mother’s Day coming up this weekend, I think this would make a lovely breakfast-in-bed. A cup of coffee, a little fresh fruit, juice, maybe some soft butter and/or lemon curd to spread on the muffins… I know I’d be a happy mommy if these appeared on my bedside table on Sunday morning! And since they only take about 15 minutes of prep, they’re easy enough to whip up in a hurry, so she can enjoy them freshly baked and warm as toast 😉
And now for the best part! A bunch of my friends and I are thrilled to be able to offer you a giveaway from Hodgson Mill!
Here is what we are giving away:
(1) 2-pound bag of bread flour
(1) 2-pound bag of cornmeal
(1) 1.75-pound bag of organic pastry flour
(1) box of milled flax seed
(3) packets of active dry yeast
(1) 10-ounce box Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour
(1) brownie mix
(1) gluten-free apple cinnamon muffin mix
(1) 11-ounce bag of almond flour
(1) Hodgson Mill apro
(1) Hodgson Mill dough scraper
Not too shabby, right? And Hodgson Mill products are really wonderful. I use their almond meal all the time for macarons, and I actually used their unbleached white flour for this blueberry muffin recipe!
Enter with the Rafflecopter widget below!
The giveaway: Eligible to one (1) winner residing in one of the 48 contiguous states. Must be 18 years of age to enter giveaway. Starts 9 am 5/7/2014 (EST time) and ends 11:59 pm 5/14/2014 (EST time). To enter the giveaway, you must participate in at minimum, one of the listed entries in the Rafflecopter and an email address must be provided. Winner will be announced via email and must respond to the subject line: “Congratulations You’ve Won Baking a Moment’s Hodgson Mill Giveaway” from BakingAMoment@gmail.com within 24 hours of deliverance. Failure to respond will forfeit your chance in winning and a new winner will be chosen. Hodgson Mill will ship the product(s) directly to the winner. Please be advised items may appear different from the photo shown. Baking a Moment and its owner are not held responsible for missing/broken items received by the winner. Good luck and thank you for your entries. There will be more fun recipes as well as giveaways coming soon! See more at http://bakingamoment.com.
This post was featured on the Sweet & Savory Link Party on Baking in Pyjamas
This post was featured on the Saturday Night Fever Link Party on Yummy Healthy Easy
This post was featured on the Create Link Inspire Link Party on Marvelous Mommy
*This post contains affiliate links*